Sponsored by:

T56 to 4L60E swap want do I need

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 10:38 AM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 to 4L60E swap want do I need

Gonna bracket race the car so the T56 is being taken out of my car. Going to a 4L60E for now and a TH400 next year. What will I need to do the swap?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:17 AM

A new flexplate, torque converter, trans cooler and lines, probably a crossmember, maybe a different yoke and driveshaft work, and either a full manual valvebody or a trans controller for the 60e....why not do an 80e? Basically a th400 w/ OD, Strong as **** too.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:06 PM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slewfoot 6.0
A new flexplate, torque converter, trans cooler and lines, probably a crossmember, maybe a different yoke and driveshaft work, and either a full manual valvebody or a trans controller for the 60e....why not do an 80e? Basically a th400 w/ OD, Strong as **** too.
I like that idea better. I can get a junkyard 4L80E and build it for hardly nothing. Will it still work with my pcm? Do I need a different mount? What about a harness for it?
Old 12-06-2012, 03:19 PM

Uhh...im not sure what all is involved on a 60 to 80 swap...im sure u can have ur pcm programmed to keep it...and same on the harness and mount, im not 100% on that either...id suggest a stand alone controller such as a TCI EZ-TCU, u can change shift points, line pressure and all kind of stuff...it has a power/economy mode, u can do a full manual shift mode, control upshifts and downshifts with a momentary push button switch or with a paddle shifter...the options are crazy for it and you can even do a custom setup if you have a laptop...if i were goin to use a 4l80 in a bracket car, id deffinetly go with the EZ-TCU..plus if the car is ever street driven, u can swap settings so it wont give u whiplash hittn 2nd pullin out of walmart parking lot lol
Old 12-06-2012, 04:34 PM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Uhh...im not sure what all is involved on a 60 to 80 swap...im sure u can have ur pcm programmed to keep it...and same on the harness and mount, im not 100% on that either...id suggest a stand alone controller such as a TCI EZ-TCU, u can change shift points, line pressure and all kind of stuff...it has a power/economy mode, u can do a full manual shift mode, control upshifts and downshifts with a momentary push button switch or with a paddle shifter...the options are crazy for it and you can even do a custom setup if you have a laptop...if i were goin to use a 4l80 in a bracket car, id deffinetly go with the EZ-TCU..plus if the car is ever street driven, u can swap settings so it wont give u whiplash hittn 2nd pullin out of walmart parking lot lol
So, if I get the console out of an a4 car, the trans controller, take the tuning out for the M6 I won't have to worry about the wiring harness. Then I just need an aftermarket cooler, flex plate, torque converter and a shifter. Is that all?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:10 PM

The controller is stand alone and comes with a harness...all u need for it is a tps signal, rpm signal and vhss. The tci harness has a provision for the tps, just unplug your tps sensor from the vehicles pcm harness and plug it into the tci harness...then with a cooler, flexplate, tc and shifter you shld be ready to rock n roll
Old 12-06-2012, 06:04 PM
MFJ
11 Second Club

The controller is stand alone and comes with a harness...all u need for it is a tps signal, rpm signal and vhss. The tci harness has a provision for the tps, just unplug your tps sensor from the vehicles pcm harness and plug it into the tci harness...then with a cooler, flexplate, tc and shifter you shld be ready to rock n roll
Awesome. Can't wait to get the T56 swapped out. I'll be able to sell the Monster clutch, Tick m/c and the tranny. That should just about cover the swap too.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:09 PM

I was excited about doing my 6.0/4l80 swap in my 81 c10 until i found out that 99-00 lq4's have an extended crank...all i need is a converter, but today i found out i gotta get one built, and its gonna be 700+ bucks to get one....wat a drag....t56 is soundin good right about now haha
Old 12-06-2012, 08:05 PM
MFJ
11 Second Club

I was excited about doing my 6.0/4l80 swap in my 81 c10 until i found out that 99-00 lq4's have an extended crank...all i need is a converter, but today i found out i gotta get one built, and its gonna be 700+ bucks to get one....wat a drag....t56 is soundin good right about now haha
T56 is fun to drive but I need consistency. I need pedals too from an a4. Does all of that just swap out? The converters ain't cheap. Especially for a reliable one. Cheaper than a clutch kit. Mine was 850 plus 325 for the Tick. More expensive than a converter.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:14 PM

Yea the pedal assembly should bolt right up...idk if it has a neutral safety switch..it should...ur prolly gonna have to bypass it...but yea i feel ya on the rest...i guess thats just the price u pay to play the game haha
Old 12-07-2012, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

I did the swap but I used a 700R4 the I purchased from MadDog Transmissions and a 3 gen steel drive shaft. Custom built the mounts and a stock auto flex plate worked great.

Quick Reply: T56 to 4L60E swap want do I need