New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob question should stock car hook from a roll.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob question should stock car hook from a roll.

Whenever I go wot at anything under 30-35 mph, the car pulls really hard to the right and really tries to get sideways. I might be spinning a little but I wouldn't think so being that my car is a pretty much stock A4. I'm on regular 275 street tires. As far as I know 300ish whp shouldn't require drag radials or anything to keep traction during slow roll pulls. It's been like this since I got the car. Just wondering if this is normal, or a suspension issue or do I need better tires?
Old 12-06-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

You need better tires. I could spin my stock SS through second on street tires put some 555rs on heat them.up and hook first.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of tires are on it?
Old 12-06-2012, 10:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I agree, the problem is worn/bad tires. You don't need a drag radial, just some decent and fresh street tires. At those speeds you are getting an auto downshift to 1st gear, which hits the tires hard. Hard/worn/old/bald rubber will break loose under those conditions.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the responses. Right now I have 275 Sumitomo HTRZ IIIs on the back. They are starting to look worn out but even when they were fresh the car still acted the same when I stomped it at low speeds, just not to the extent that it does now, now I have to really put effort into keeping her straight. Good to know it's just the tires though. Hopefully some better quality street tires will prevent it from happening.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try a set of Nitto 455s. They aren't drag radials. They have a good grip on the road and even run well when it rains. When I bought my Camaro I had the same problem with the rear going sideways and they solved my problem. Mine use to lite the tires up if you kicked it around 35. The sideways problem was mostly from a dead stop to a hammer down type of thing.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NC98Z
Try a set of Nitto 455s. They aren't drag radials. They have a good grip on the road and even run well when it rains. When I bought my Camaro I had the same problem with the rear going sideways and they solved my problem. Mine use to lite the tires up if you kicked it around 35. The sideways problem was mostly from a dead stop to a hammer down type of thing.
I'll look into those. My Firebird is my DD and I live in Florida and unfortunately it rains A LOT. So drag radials or anything that I can't have faith in to keep alive in bad weather is out of the question. It sucks cause I know needing rain friendly tires really limits my options.

Edit: Do you mean 450? I don't see 455s on Nitto's website and the 450s aren't offered for an 18in wheel. How are the 555s and NT05s in the rain? The standard version not the R ones.

Last edited by badformulaLS1; 12-07-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
I'll look into those. My Firebird is my DD and I live in Florida and unfortunately it rains A LOT. So drag radials or anything that I can't have faith in to keep alive in bad weather is out of the question. It sucks cause I know needing rain friendly tires really limits my options.

Edit: Do you mean 450? I don't see 455s on Nitto's website and the 450s aren't offered for an 18in wheel. How are the 555s and NT05s in the rain? The standard version not the R ones.
He probably meant 555's.
I've read the 555's are a good all around tire for what they are, but I have no personal experience with them. Ive been running NT05's for a while now and they are surprisingly good in the rain, much better than I expected (I auto-xed in light rain with them as well, and they had good grip).
Old 12-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

the nitto 555rs grip really good and they dont do bad in the rain at all as long as you dont do anything stupid i had the same problem with some 275 steet tires first and second gear it just wanted to o sideways
Old 12-11-2012, 07:46 PM
TECH Regular

I had stock eagle f1's and they were horrible. I could spin 1st-2nd really bad. I put Nitto's 555's on and they hook pretty nice for a street tire. I recommend them.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01 CamaroSS SLP
I had stock eagle f1's and they were horrible. I could spin 1st-2nd really bad. I put Nitto's 555's on and they hook pretty nice for a street tire. I recommend them.
How are they in the rain? I've heard mixed reviews about how they behave in bad weather so I'm not sure whats correct. I hear they run kinda thin too so should I go with a 295 instead of 275 for a 9.5" rim?
Old 12-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

im not sure i know some 275s griped good for me but they arent bad in the rain at all once they get worn down they become a little dangerous but thats every tire in the rain
Old 12-12-2012, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

How are they in the rain? I've heard mixed reviews about how they behave in bad weather so I'm not sure whats correct. I hear they run kinda thin too so should I go with a 295 instead of 275 for a 9.5" rim?
Who told you they run thin??? I'm not 100% sure but i don't believe a 295 width tire will fit on a 9.5 Rim. As for the rain i only got caught in light rain a couple of times and it was fine. Like i said a HUGE improvement over the stock ones for me.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 555r are good for that sort of power

anything above 375+ the nt05r is more appealing.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01 CamaroSS SLP
Who told you they run thin??? I'm not 100% sure but i don't believe a 295 width tire will fit on a 9.5 Rim. As for the rain i only got caught in light rain a couple of times and it was fine. Like i said a HUGE improvement over the stock ones for me.
I've read several posts on this site about 555s looking thin. Most aren't specific as to whether they're talking about the 555r or the regular 555 and Im not sure if that makes a difference. I'm worried about wet traction since I regularly have to drive in bad weather so unfortunately its a must for me.

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
the 555r are good for that sort of power

anything above 375+ the nt05r is more appealing.
Is there a significant difference between the 555 and 555r in the rain? That's my main concern. I want the best possible tire that will hook on the street and at the track a couple times a year, and also keep me alive when driving in heavy rain. Not sure if that's too much to ask? It kinda sounds like it. I do a lot of 3-4 hour trips too.

I guess now this thread is about which tire should I go with??? Open to all recommendations.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

i have a manual car but i could roll into first and as soon as i hit 3800+ rpms it break the tires loose and if i nailed 2nd it spin basically all through 2nd, this was with 275 falken ziex tires, nitto 555s are quite nice! i have a 315/35R17 as im running a 17x11 out back now but they hook great for a DD with out the low mileage of a DR, nail 2nd as hard as i want and it just does a solid chirp and a little *** wiggle, im pushing about 30 more RWHP (350rwhp) then when i had the falkens, i had 315 555Rs on it and they hooked awesome but lasted about 8-10months, and wernt as fun sometimes for when u didnt want them to hook lol
Old 12-12-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

....so your musclecar spins tires at low speeds?????

i guess its broken......must be vteck acting up.

gome on maaannn! i have a 2001 SS A4- with a v8 with the power we have of course its gonna spin and try to go sideways.

i wasnt suprised by this a bit. i used to have C5 z06s( the rim not the cars) so the rear wheels were 18s 285/35 with some grippy tires.

it would still snap the *** lose.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nick V.
....so your musclecar spins tires at low speeds?????

i guess its broken......must be vteck acting up.

gome on maaannn! i have a 2001 SS A4- with a v8 with the power we have of course its gonna spin and try to go sideways.

i wasnt suprised by this a bit. i used to have C5 z06s( the rim not the cars) so the rear wheels were 18s 285/35 with some grippy tires.

it would still snap the *** lose.
Hahaha hence why this is a noob question. I'm young and my Formula is the only "fast" car I've ever driven so I guess I just underestimated it a little. Regardless, I'd like to be able to have some more fun and hook when I want to so thats really what this thread is about.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hahaha hence why this is a noob question. I'm young and my Formula is the only "fast" car I've ever driven so I guess I just underestimated it a little. Regardless, I'd like to be able to have some more fun and hook when I want to so thats really what this thread is about.
ahhhh. gotchya. weeeellll if i was you and had some decent money saved up, id make enough room in the back fenders for 315s or 335s. and some nittos or Kumos XSs.

i know a guy who has 315s all around in his 00 Trans am. the only power mod he has is shorty headers.

he has about 4k in suspension though. he autocrosses the car. it will definalty break traction on take off but its very controlled. course for autocross he typically uses NASA tires. but he likes the kumos allot
Old 12-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

You could always put a block of wood under the pedal so it won't go very far. Hahaha. Its cheaper than new rear tires. My daily driver is a truck that I wished would break lose every now and then! I don't know what kind of rims you have, but I have always loved the ZR1 wheels. Put the 11 inch wide ones on the back and some WIDE rubber!

Quick Reply: Noob question should stock car hook from a roll.