Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help left bank very lean while spraying

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 03:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need help left bank very lean while spraying

so i've been having issues getting my car to run right with nitrous.
car: 02 z06, 40,000 miles
mods: vararam, stock mufflers removed, bkr7 plugs
system:
nano 3000 kit, 1000psi regulator
nx bottle and nx stage 6 solenoids
hsw plate

standard jets 52,31
nano corrected 47,31(ran a 33 since i was having lean issues before and wanted to fatten it up a little.

i started with those jets tonight and almost instantly the car starts to break up. bumped it up to a 35, and tried again. car went to about 14:1 afr on both banks, about 1 second in, the left bank pegged lean and the car started breaking up again.

kept lowering the shot, whenever it would break up the drivers side bank would be pegged lean.

i'm assuming the problem is fuel pressure dropping from the solenoid being drawn from the front of the rail.

i'm going to check the pressure tomorrow when i can get to a friends shop.

what is the fix for this issue? im going to replace the fuel filter and try again.

i finally got some decent results when i went down to a 38n/26f. running about low 12s on both widebands.

do i need an upgraded pump? my solenoid is connected directly to the rail with a coupling and 90. would it help to add a line in there?

really trying to run a 10 this weekend, and its the last week at the track

thanks
Old 12-07-2012, 09:17 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by boostinsidewayz
so i've been having issues getting my car to run right with nitrous.
car: 02 z06, 40,000 miles
mods: vararam, stock mufflers removed, bkr7 plugs
system:
nano 3000 kit, 1000psi regulator
nx bottle and nx stage 6 solenoids
hsw plate

standard jets 52,31
nano corrected 47,31(ran a 33 since i was having lean issues before and wanted to fatten it up a little.

i started with those jets tonight and almost instantly the car starts to break up. bumped it up to a 35, and tried again. car went to about 14:1 afr on both banks, about 1 second in, the left bank pegged lean and the car started breaking up again.

kept lowering the shot, whenever it would break up the drivers side bank would be pegged lean.

i'm assuming the problem is fuel pressure dropping from the solenoid being drawn from the front of the rail.

i'm going to check the pressure tomorrow when i can get to a friends shop.

what is the fix for this issue? im going to replace the fuel filter and try again.

i finally got some decent results when i went down to a 38n/26f. running about low 12s on both widebands.

do i need an upgraded pump? my solenoid is connected directly to the rail with a coupling and 90. would it help to add a line in there?

really trying to run a 10 this weekend, and its the last week at the track

thanks
What fuel pump are you using? Also did you pull a plug on the bank that's showing lean after a run to eliminate any wideband issues? Could it be attributed to the nano?
Old 12-07-2012, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Did not pull a plug. But both Widebands read with .1 at wot, and .2 at idle. I'm running stock pump still.
It might be attributed to the nano, but I don't know why/how. It seems like everyone else running it just throws it in the car and goes.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:03 AM
10 Second Club

Did not pull a plug. But both Widebands read with .1 at wot, and .2 at idle. I'm running stock pump still.
It might be attributed to the nano, but I don't know why/how. It seems like everyone else running it just throws it in the car and goes.
You did say that it was lean popping though. Even if I wideband o2 was reading incorrectly it still wouldn't attribute to your lean issue. The fuel pump could be bad but I don't see that causing a lean condition on one bank. Check all your fuses with a voltmeter in the boxes under the hood specifically the injector fuses and the fuel pump relay. Is there anyway you could put the original nitrous jetting back in and bypass the nano? That would eliminate any suspicion of the nano being the culprit.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TeEnAgE pHeNoM
You did say that it was lean popping though. Even if I wideband o2 was reading incorrectly it still wouldn't attribute to your lean issue. The fuel pump could be bad but I don't see that causing a lean condition on one bank. Check all your fuses with a voltmeter in the boxes under the hood specifically the injector fuses and the fuel pump relay. Is there anyway you could put the original nitrous jetting back in and bypass the nano? That would eliminate any suspicion of the nano being the culprit.

just to clarify, the wbo2 read the same at wot all motor. then with spray, only one is lean, the other is acceptable.

i can turn the nano bottle off. but the top portition of my nitrous bottle is already filled with nitrogen. i'm not sure what that would do.

i was wondering if the fuel pump was on its way out and couldnt keep up with the demand in the front drivers cylinders.

its rainging today, but if it dries up, i'll borrow a friends bottle and try his bottle heated. and swap back to the standard jets
Old 12-07-2012, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a fuel distribution issue with the plate maybe? I would find a way to do away with the 90 degree fitting on the rail. Use a straight or 45 fitting. Shouldn't use 90 degree fittings for fuel. I would put an upgraded fuel pump, hotwire kit, and filter as insurance. I would do away with the nano. To me it is just a gimmick and something else to keep up with that can go wrong. Just keep your bottle topped off. KISS principle is what we go by. Keep It Simple Stupid.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Killer5.3
Could be a fuel distribution issue with the plate maybe? I would find a way to do away with the 90 degree fitting on the rail. Use a straight or 45 fitting. Shouldn't use 90 degree fittings for fuel. I would put an upgraded fuel pump, hotwire kit, and filter as insurance. I would do away with the nano. To me it is just a gimmick and something else to keep up with that can go wrong. Just keep your bottle topped off. KISS principle is what we go by. Keep It Simple Stupid.
i'm starting to feel the same way about the nano.
i have my own fill station, but i dont have a pump so filling takes a while. i liked the idea of the nano so i can get more runs out of a bottle.
i'm heading to go pick up a filter now.

the thing that bothers me, is that i have seen plenty of people run nano. and plenty of setups with the 90* fitting off the rail.

i dont get why the setups that work for others isnt working for my car. thats why im looking towards a fuel pump on its way out or a dirty filter. just hoping someone might have had a similar problem and a solution

i'll try again with nano and a new filter. then try no nano and standard jets
Old 12-12-2012, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TeEnAgE pHeNoM
i disconnected the nano and got the bottle to 950, tried spraying and it still wasnt right. i rented a fuel pressure gauge and when the breaking up happens it drops for 58-40ish
getting a new pump tonight and putting it in

Originally Posted by Killer5.3
i did try changing up my fuel side.
it used to go female 4an coupling - 90* male 1/8npt x male 4an into the solenoid. out of the solenoid through a 24" 3an line that 90* into the plate.
now its 18" 4an line off the rail with a tee at the solenoid. run goes into the solenoid, bull is for the gauge temporarily.
10" 3an solid line with a large radius 180 into the plate.

i'm hoping that the new pump fixes my issue.
the only other thing i can think it might be is the solenoids are drawing to much power and the fuel pump isnt seeing enough volts.

i dont know enough about the intricacies of voltage and amps to figure out if thats an issue.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i disconnected the nano and got the bottle to 950, tried spraying and it still wasnt right. i rented a fuel pressure gauge and when the breaking up happens it drops for 58-40ish
getting a new pump tonight and putting it in

i did try changing up my fuel side.
it used to go female 4an coupling - 90* male 1/8npt x male 4an into the solenoid. out of the solenoid through a 24" 3an line that 90* into the plate.
now its 18" 4an line off the rail with a tee at the solenoid. run goes into the solenoid, bull is for the gauge temporarily.
10" 3an solid line with a large radius 180 into the plate.

i'm hoping that the new pump fixes my issue.
the only other thing i can think it might be is the solenoids are drawing to much power and the fuel pump isnt seeing enough volts.

i dont know enough about the intricacies of voltage and amps to figure out if thats an issue.
Definitely sounds like the pump can't keep up. Make sure and get the hotwire kit / harness also. That will insure the pump sees full voltage under load.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

the pump didnt work out for me. my plate ended up being junk. i made a post all about it to warn others.

thanks for the help guys

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...id-inside.html

Quick Reply: need help left bank very lean while spraying