General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help! Serpentine belt seems to be coming off?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Serpentine belt seems to be coming off?!

Hi all,

I was going to do a 120 mile trip tomorrow so I went out to check the fluids etc and I saw that the serpentine belt seems to be coming off some of the pulleys!

I have taken two pictures of the belt coming over the lip of two of the pulleys. It is on correctly on the other pulleys that I can see that are deeper in the engine bay. Is there a way to quickly get the belt to pop back into place. It is really really tight, I can barely move it at all.
What do I do? The car is new to me by 2 weeks and I have a receipt saying the belt and adjuster was changed 20,000 miles ago.

Is there anything I can do? I am ok with mechanical stuff.

I will call a few garages in the morning but I am scared that something bad will happen if I drive it.

Thanks guys

Alex
Attached Thumbnails Help! Serpentine belt seems to be coming off?!-rsz_serpentine_belt.jpg   Help! Serpentine belt seems to be coming off?!-20121207_223902.jpg  
Old 12-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Launching!

I am pretty sure you can use a wrench to take pressure off then tensioner and move the belt. Look for a square hole in the back if the pulley where you could put a 3/8 breaker bar or ratchet.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

Hiya,

Thanks for your response.

Where is the tensioner located? Is it one of the ones I pictured or does anyone have a picture of it?

Is it only a 3/8 ratchet that will fit?

Thanks
Old 12-07-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's the one with small pulley in photo #2. Put a socket an ratchet on the pulley bolt and rotate it clockwise to remove/replace/re-install the belt. You need a new belt, an most likely a new belt tensioner; ASAP!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Launching!

oh yeah... you have to use the bolt head on our cars. i changed to a K tech years ago so i forgot.

If you cannot replace the tensioner and belt before your trip... if it were me... I would reseat the belt, drive the car a bit close to your house and check it. If ok, do a highway test. If it stays and looks good... Go for it. But maybe take the tools and extra belt with you just in case.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

Hiya,

Thanks very much for your response. I have been outside to have a look and I can see the pulley and how the ratchet would rotate it clock wise which loosens it which gives slack which allows the belt to be moved back into place.

Can I use the ratchet without removing all the air intake stuff at the moment?

Thanks
Old 12-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Yes. As you push on the ratchet the tensioner will give a bit for you to move the belt back into place. It is spring loaded, you have to hold pressure and move the belt at the same time.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Ok understood,

So when I turn the raTchet clockwise the tensioner will move up to 2 inches it seems, the belt will loosen slightly and then I have to hold the ratchet steady and firmly until I can get the belt back on.

Once I have done that then I ease up on the tensioner and it will automatically pull the belt tight again into position yes?

Last question, in picture 1 the belt is 2 rings off of the pulley and the situation is the same in picture 2. When I re-adjust the belt in picture 2 (hopefully) will the belt automatically realign in picture 1 or will I need to realign that too?

Thansks
Old 12-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Launching!

The belt needs to sit in the grooves on each and every pulley. It should do it easily and as you get one in you can work to the others if they are not fully seated.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

OK here you go
one of the pic is of the power steering, the OTHER is "the tensioner" rite beside the upper rad hose, MY (2000)tensioner does NOT have a hole for a 3/8 braker bar ( some of the older tensioner dod use a 3/8 bar)
mine uses a 15 mm socket and the longest braker bar I could find ( and I use a pipe on the end of the brakover bar)
just go slow and pull to the right just like tighten the bolt do not let the belt come off any other pulleys as it is a head ack to completely restall
you may like to have a helper to keep the belt on the bottom, allso while you have the
tension off the belt feel all the idlers to see if any are bad allso check the bolt which holes the tensioner to moter ( not the bolt you are holding against)
just my .02'
Johnny
Old 12-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Ok excellent thanks guys. I will ask my dad for some help too as an extra pair of hands.

I will let you know how it goes.

Alex
Old 12-08-2012, 03:42 AM
Staging Lane

Hi all,

Ok the belt is back on the pulleys as it should be. I got my dad to hold the ratchet and pull clockwise whilst I moved the belt back on the big pulley first (picture number 1).

Then I inspected it to check it was on properly and then moved the belt onto the smaller pulley (the tensioner in picture 2). This was a bit more tricky but we go there.

I have not started the car yet as it is still a bit early for the neighbourhood but I just wanted to check with you guys on what to do for the next few miles.

I plan on starting it up and watch the belt move around to check it is ok. Then drive it lightly around to get some gas and then check again. Then do a quick higher load blast to build up some speed and then come back home and check it is ok.

I will also look into get it replaced and the tensioner checked. Is it possible it was incorrectly fitted by the installer when it was changed 20,000 miles ago? I suppose it is impossible to say
Old 12-08-2012, 05:16 AM
Launching!

Is it ok on the alternator and the a/c compressor too? Just make sure.

I would start the car and watch the belt and tensioner. The tensioner should be pretty solid not a lot of bouncing. Then maybe have your dad rev the engine and visual check it the same. If seems good, go for a drive.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The belt looks like it has some age on it. If it was running on the outside of the pulleys for a while, I'd replace it - soon. (It could have gotten some abnormal wear inside the belt grooves.)

Quick Reply: Help! Serpentine belt seems to be coming off?!