Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Help! Serpentine belt seems to be coming off?!

Old 12-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Serpentine belt seems to be coming off?!

Hi all,

I was going to do a 120 mile trip tomorrow so I went out to check the fluids etc and I saw that the serpentine belt seems to be coming off some of the pulleys!

I have taken two pictures of the belt coming over the lip of two of the pulleys. It is on correctly on the other pulleys that I can see that are deeper in the engine bay. Is there a way to quickly get the belt to pop back into place. It is really really tight, I can barely move it at all.
What do I do? The car is new to me by 2 weeks and I have a receipt saying the belt and adjuster was changed 20,000 miles ago.

Is there anything I can do? I am ok with mechanical stuff.

I will call a few garages in the morning but I am scared that something bad will happen if I drive it.

Thanks guys

Alex
Attached Thumbnails Help! Serpentine belt seems to be coming off?!-20121207_223902.jpg   Help! Serpentine belt seems to be coming off?!-rsz_serpentine_belt.jpg  
Old 12-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Launching!

That belt looks older than 20,000 miles, but they may have been telling the truth.

A couple things... you could have a bad tensioner (new doesn't always mean good), the belt could be bad or you have a pulley that stuck or coming off.

Pull the belt off, check for any bad bearings in your pulleys and reinstall it to see if that's the case. Otherwise, I'd replace the tensioner and belt again.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Also see if the pullies are tight. Belts dont like it when there too wobbly. Belt looks old....Double check the ribs on the belt also to see if there cracked or broken

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! Serpentine belt seems to be coming off?!