Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Dyno numbers stock bottom end, D1 procharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dyno numbers stock bottom end, D1 procharger

I had the car "tuned" by a what I thought reputable shop about 7 months ago. It made good power but drove like crap. It got to the point where I hated to drive the car because of it. I finally decided it was time for a retune by someone else to fix this. I could care less if it made any more power. That being said, I called Jonathan at Tick Performance and talked to him several times on the phone, in person, and through email. I have been put through the ringer sooooo many times by "tuners" that I was skeptical of how well he would do as he had only been tuning for just a few months. He has done a few things to the car such as the t56 rebuild and few other things and they always turned out flawless and I knew for a fact that he wouldn't let anything out of his shop unless it was right. That alone made it worth giving him a shot. And boy am I glad I did. The car drives 10000X better than it did when I brought it there. He kept me informed throughout the entire process and answered any questions I had. Anyone looking for a tune should give them a try hands down! Now on to the important stuff!

Stock bottom end LS1 with custom cam and valvetrain
T56 and 9" rearend
Full exhaust and FAST intake
D1 procharger with 4.25 blower pully making 11# peak boost and frontmount

Dont pay the AFR any attention. That was read at the tailpipe. It was tuned off a wideband in a bung at the header. AFR was actually 11.5-11.7 at WOT

Old 12-07-2012, 07:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good numbers, but im interested in seeing some track times with d1sc prochargers. The thing I don't get is they only make max boost at your highest rpm. So at lower rpm they aren't making as much boost like turbo would correct? I see this being a downside to a procharger?
Old 12-07-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
Good numbers, but im interested in seeing some track times with d1sc prochargers. The thing I don't get is they only make max boost at your highest rpm. So at lower rpm they aren't making as much boost like turbo would correct? I see this being a downside to a procharger?
I'm going to the track Sunday. Not leaving hard though. I'm tired of breaking stuff and fixing it every weekend! Well kinda but then again, turbo kits have lag right? With a centrifugal blower such as a procharger boost is determined by rpm. I like it though because it gives the tires time to hook. I have never had a problem with "not enough power" in lower rpm's with what im making now and just a stock motor. It's honestly more than I can use on the street anyways.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedfreak2685
I'm going to the track Sunday. Not leaving hard though. I'm tired of breaking stuff and fixing it every weekend! Well kinda but then again, turbo kits have lag right? With a centrifugal blower such as a procharger boost is determined by rpm. I like it though because it gives the tires time to hook. I have never had a problem with "not enough power" in lower rpm's with what im making now and just a stock motor. It's honestly more than I can use on the street anyways.
Awesome I'm interested to see what you run. I trap about 113-114 on motor now and my goal with the procharger is to trap in the 122-125 mph range. I wonder how much boost it will take to accomplish this?
Old 12-07-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

Awesome I'm interested to see what you run. I trap about 113-114 on motor now and my goal with the procharger is to trap in the 122-125 mph range. I wonder how much boost it will take to accomplish this?
No clue really. I expect my car to trap that now.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Not a downside at all. Some of the fastest cars have centrifugals on them. They make linear power and its determined by rpm. The more rpm you give it the more power you can make. Some will say it has a lack of torque but trust me I have enough to not have the greatest traction until the top of second.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP Making great power but that stock bottom is on borrowed time. Running meth?

I picked up 10 mph in the 1/4 with 8lbs P1SC-1
Old 12-07-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EXACTLY the build I plan on doing, nicely done! But like flame said isn't 11# pushing it?
Old 12-07-2012, 11:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by flame
OP Making great power but that stock bottom is on borrowed time. Running meth?

I picked up 10 mph in the 1/4 with 8lbs P1SC-1
Huh so you only picked up like 13-hp per lb of boost?
Old 12-08-2012, 07:07 AM
TECH Regular

great numbers
Old 12-08-2012, 08:20 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah I know it is on the verge. Just trying to see if I can prove people wrong. I see tons of 5.3's making 700-900 hp or more all day long. I know my combo isnt the safest in the world but I have taken as much safety percausions as I could other than meth. I have tr7 plugs, KUP water vapor system to get the coolant flowing around number 7 cylinder again (which most stock bottom end cars bust the #7 ringland), and a very safe tune. I don't beat the crap out of it daily so we will see.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Not a downside at all. Some of the fastest cars have centrifugals on them. They make linear power and its determined by rpm. The more rpm you give it the more power you can make. Some will say it has a lack of torque but trust me I have enough to not have the greatest traction until the top of second.
Same problem I have too.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:36 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Huh so you only picked up like 13-hp per lb of boost?
No he picked up 10mph from 8psi of boost.

I know, 1mph is theoretically 10hp, but it's only theoretical. The quicker you go, the more hp it takes to increase 1mph.

I know you're having doubts and concerns about running a D1SC, but focus on what you want first. Is it a dyno number, or is it a mph in the quarter. Then run whatever it takes to acheive that goal.

OP, great setup and happy to hear it's working out for you. I love my D1 setup. Some people knock a cetri-blower because the boost is linear, but I don't know if they've ever driven one. Huge torque is fine if you have the traction to utilize it. If not, it's just wasted tire spin. The fastest acceleration comes from having rear wheel torque just below your coefficient of friction, aka traction.

If the rear wheel torque exceeds 'traction', acceleration is decreased, aka spinning aint winning.

As your vehicle speed increases, so does your traction as the vehicle is already in motion. Think of top fuel dragsters, they've got multiple clutch discs that don't lock up 1:1 till past the 1/8 mile. Why? Because they don't have enough traction to harness all the power they are making from that instant torque.

There's plenty of ways to skin a cat and get down the quarter mile fast. Blowers are most definitely able to do that, and from relatively simple setups.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
No he picked up 10mph from 8psi of boost.

I know, 1mph is theoretically 10hp, but it's only theoretical. The quicker you go, the more hp it takes to increase 1mph.

I know you're having doubts and concerns about running a D1SC, but focus on what you want first. Is it a dyno number, or is it a mph in the quarter. Then run whatever it takes to acheive that goal.

OP, great setup and happy to hear it's working out for you. I love my D1 setup. Some people knock a cetri-blower because the boost is linear, but I don't know if they've ever driven one. Huge torque is fine if you have the traction to utilize it. If not, it's just wasted tire spin. The fastest acceleration comes from having rear wheel torque just below your coefficient of friction, aka traction.

If the rear wheel torque exceeds 'traction', acceleration is decreased, aka spinning aint winning.

As your vehicle speed increases, so does your traction as the vehicle is already in motion. Think of top fuel dragsters, they've got multiple clutch discs that don't lock up 1:1 till past the 1/8 mile. Why? Because they don't have enough traction to harness all the power they are making from that instant torque.

There's plenty of ways to skin a cat and get down the quarter mile fast. Blowers are most definitely able to do that, and from relatively simple setups.
Pretty much the nail on the head. I wouldn't change out the procharger for nothing.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:09 AM
11 Second Club

Nice numbers! My numbers are very similar my advertised numbers in sig are std correction so we are probably really close in power. I've been beating the crap out of mine for a year now. I'm in the same boat of proving these stock blocks can last. Expect new dyno numbers from me in a few weeks. Pushing the limit just a little bit further :-)
Old 12-08-2012, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 35thsscamaro02
Nice numbers! My numbers are very similar my advertised numbers in sig are std correction so we are probably really close in power. I've been beating the crap out of mine for a year now. I'm in the same boat of proving these stock blocks can last. Expect new dyno numbers from me in a few weeks. Pushing the limit just a little bit further :-)
I love it man! Were in the same boat. I've been following your build as we were doing identical setups. My intake air temps only got up to 90 degrees on the street hitting it a few times on a 65 degree day so I think that should help too.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedfreak2685
I love it man! Were in the same boat. I've been following your build as we were doing identical setups. My intake air temps only got up to 90 degrees on the street hitting it a few times on a 65 degree day so I think that should help too.
Yeah my IAT were so low they couldn't even tune my meth to have a failsafe. My new setup should produce plenty of heat to fix that lol 3.4 pulley on it with wastegate dumping boost anything over 9-11lbs. I've never had to bad of traction problems now that I have my suspension dialed in so the extra tq down low should be a blast on the street.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 35thsscamaro02
Yeah my IAT were so low they couldn't even tune my meth to have a failsafe. My new setup should produce plenty of heat to fix that lol 3.4 pulley on it with wastegate dumping boost anything over 9-11lbs. I've never had to bad of traction problems now that I have my suspension dialed in so the extra tq down low should be a blast on the street.
Thats awesome. Ive seem people do that. Pretty cool.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Im all for pushing the stock bottom! I think itll perform well for you.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:22 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My stock bottom end gave up on a very cold January day when I was pushing 15psi of boost on it. I was well into the low 700hp range though, so it was no surprise. I wonder if I had been spraying water/meth if it had lived for a little while longer. I actually took out the top two ring lands on #7 and the second ring land on #5. Definitely got the pistons too hot. The water/meth goes a long way to help keeping the pistons cool.

Last edited by The Alchemist; 12-08-2012 at 05:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Dyno numbers stock bottom end, D1 procharger