Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS 1 Heater pipes

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 1 Heater pipes

I've put a LS 1 engine in a 1965 Corvette , Used the retro fit engine mount & Edelbrock Retro sump. Everything fits in great.. BUT 1.The thermostat housing(water neck) touches the upper control arm 2.The heater pipes are approx. 2mm away from the same upper control arm. Can I try and fit another housing and use a loose, single stage thermostat instead of the standard two stage thermostat fitted on the housing... If so, can then blank off the 2 heater pipes or must they be bridged...I am not using the heater at all
Old 12-08-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can blank off the heater hose connections. I'm not sure what the fix for the thermostat would be.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:08 PM
Launching!

You can pull the hose nipples out of the pump, and tap the existing holes and put in 90deg fittings. It works on a C3 and should be the same for a C2 frame.

Some have blocked the heater connections with no problems, but the thermostat uses the heater circulation to work properly. You would be better off with a loop instead of blocking off. Others have plugged the existing holes, and then tapped new holes on the bottom side of the water pump to hook up the heater. http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_02.../photo_13.html
Put on a aftermarket straight thermostat outlet with the separate LS style thermostat - not a small block thermostat.

Last edited by 74modified; 12-08-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That Heater hose port mod Might help, but he is working with some pretty tight clearances.. .... But that T-Stat Filler should help him out...

Plugging it might not be the bess solution.. from what i have read, it needs to flow as a bypass during heat up.. but I guess there are pro and cons for doing this..

BC
Old 12-09-2012, 01:08 AM

Smile Monty Booth

Really appreciate the advice guys...Problem is, I live in South Africa...Still undecided on whether to blank-off or to bridge on heater ports. Can you maybe please give me advice from where I can import the straight housing shown in the picture as well the proper thermostat.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can find them on EBay or from the manufacturs

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...mostat+housing

Last edited by bczee; 12-09-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:36 AM

Smile Monty Booth

Really appreciate the advice guys...Problem is, I live in South Africa...Still undecided on whether to blank-off or to bridge on heater ports. Can you maybe please give me advice from where I can import the straight housing shown in the picture as well the proper thermostat.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:39 AM

Thank you very much...Got it

Quick Reply: LS 1 Heater pipes