What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Looking to buy camaro or T/A what to expect

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Looking to buy camaro or T/A what to expect

Tried look around for prices but really havent found a answer. Im wanting a camaro or transam. Heres what im looking

Camaro- 2000-2002 LS1 5.7L, 6 speed, t-top, any color. Looking for something with relatively low miles, KBB has the camaro z28 for around $8-9K retail and about $7k

Transam- 2000-2002 WS6 ram air package, LS1 5.7L, 6 speed, t-top, any color looking for low miles. KBB has retail about $12K and private party around $8-9K

Heres the thing. Ive never been in either vehicle to test drive or see how i feel afterwords to see if i want to buy one. What better way to get a classic that has alot of aftermarket and everyone loves these cars. The bodies are sleek. So what should i expect to pay for one in decent condition to where its not problematic or has electrical problems and so on?

Im thinking $8-10K is what im willing to pay. But im seeing alot of these lower mile cars sell for 15-20k if thats the case id rather jump into a corvette for a little more
Old 12-09-2012, 09:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

You really need to test drive one. These cars are not for everyone. Driving a modded high mileage car will differ amazingly from a 'stock' low mileage ride. Which do you want??
Your sub $10,000 price range is a bit low IMO but it can be done, especially if you can live with a regular T/A in lieu of a WS6 or a Z28 in lieu of an SS. That's a personal choice that only you can make.
Price ranges are indeed all over the place so you must expand your search area. Don't be confined to a 100 mile radius around your home town. Some owners ask crazy prices and I would simply ignore those ads. Other asking prices may seem high but remember that thay are negotiable in most instances, sometimes by thousands of dollars (ex: someone may ask $13,000 but take $11,000 cash). Keep that in mind. You can probably feel the owner out after a few phone calls and if the car has been for sale for awhile. This is an excellent time of year to buy a car. Sales are slowest during the holiday season. Here are a few examples of cars (not necessarily the year or your wants but it gives you an idea) in your price range. They don't seem too bad at face value but you would have to do your homework on each one. There are probably 'issues' that are not disclosed. Good luck with your search!
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...Index=18&Log=0
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...item1c2da95eca
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...item337e5df75f
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...Index=17&Log=0
Old 12-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Thankyou for the advice. I might have a hard time finding someone to let me test drive. None of my buddies own one. And i dont want to "waste" anyones time with me test driving one. Also i am def. having a hard time finding ones local to me. They are few and far between. Mostly in the dallas and further region. Never really thought of traveling out of state to pick one up.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Its a shame you are so far north of me, you could test drive mine its a 98 Trans Am with Ws6 hood and slp lid the rest is stock. Its a A4 but would give you a chance to test one.

-Buddy-
Old 12-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

Ive actually have a battle buddy that lives in SA trying to get him into a camaro or transam as well. Found this digging through CL probably sold but that TA is nice

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/3396990300.html
Old 12-09-2012, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by billetproof97'
Ive actually have a battle buddy that lives in SA trying to get him into a camaro or transam as well. Found this digging through CL probably sold but that TA is nice

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/3396990300.html
Not bad but I just sold my convertible because I never felt safe parking it anywhere . They are fun cars though but you also have to decide what you are going to do with it, pretty sure any type of legal racing requires roll bars on convertibles. Might be selling mine but haven't decided .
Looking to buy camaro or T/A what to expect-img_6214.jpg

Looking to buy camaro or T/A what to expect-img_6213.jpg

Looking to buy camaro or T/A what to expect-img_6270.jpg

Looking to buy camaro or T/A what to expect-img_6237.jpg
-Buddy-
Old 12-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

Never thought about that with the vert top. Your TA is pretty clean
Old 12-10-2012, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by billetproof97'
Thankyou for the advice. I might have a hard time finding someone to let me test drive. None of my buddies own one. And i dont want to "waste" anyones time with me test driving one. Also i am def. having a hard time finding ones local to me. They are few and far between. Mostly in the dallas and further region. Never really thought of traveling out of state to pick one up.

Sometimes you have to. I have purchased 5 cars since my '01 TA and each one involved an overnight stay. Even if it takes an entire weekend it is well worth it. Gas, fast food, and a motel are nothing in the grand scheme of buying a car worth $10,000 or whatever. Just do your homework ahead of time with several phone calls to the owner and lots of photos and a Carfax. I've only left without buying a car once out of 6 times in the past 11 years. I don't settle for cars and you shouldn't either. They are too expensive to just 'settle' because it is local or not exactly what you want.
Make the effort to test drive one at a dealer. Let them drive it out first, which they usually do, then you can get behind the wheel and get a feel for it. It is part of their business to take people out on test drives. Not everyone likes every car they drive and a salesman doesn't expect a sale each time. It may only take 10-15 minutes out of their day and they certainly are not busy during the holiday season. Here is your statement to him afterwards, " Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it, but after being in it, it really isn't what I want." It's that simple.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy camaro or T/A what to expect