Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Should I buy this rear?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Should I buy this rear?

Hey guys I found a local guy who has a 4channel rear with 3.90s in it. I've been contemplating a gear change but I didn't want to pay someone to do it. This one has some gear whine and a little play in the pinion.

I have setup a ford rear but never a 10 bolt. So I was gonna buy this and give it a try. I've got all the tools, I was just wondering is there anyway the gears can be saved or once they start whining are they done? Of I have to replace the gears I'm probably just better off finding another rear. Guys asking 100 bucks and is firm on it
Old 12-08-2012, 03:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you know if the pinion is leaking, play in the pinion dont sound good to me. but $100 dosnt sound like a bad deal as long as you keep your old rear for backup. could go all out and get a 9 inch and say **** a 10 bolt
Old 12-08-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Veteran

I don't know if it's leaking because its empty right now. I haven't gotten to hear it so idk how bad the whine is. My whole thing is if he gears whined before will I be able to quiet it down? If not ill just rebuild my 10 bolt when I can with 3.90s
Old 12-09-2012, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it might be whining because something changed in the gear pattern, mine is so loud that my friend can hear me coming down the street and i have to turn my radio up almost all the way. if the pinion is loose or pinion nut is loose then that would probly cause the pattern to change and make whining noise and most likely for rearend failure. this is what i think is happening with mine. ask the guy if the pinion seal and crush sleeve has been replaced cause if so maybe it messed up something. this is why im just buying a moser 9
Old 12-09-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Veteran

He said it was just developed a whine while in the car and he was upgrading te rear anyway so he pulled it. I'm just wondering if the gears have started whining can they be quiet again or are the gears more or less done? If they are I'd just but new gears and set them up in my rear so I was wondering if it was worth the risk
Old 12-09-2012, 05:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That rear you're looking at is worth more than $100 in spare parts if the axles and posi are good. You can try to run it with the noisy gears, but they're not going to get better. It's going to take $350-450 to rebuild that rear with new gears and bearings if you do the work yourself. Just make sure that the posi unit is good, if it needs a new one then the price starts to get too high compared to a much stronger aftermarket rear. If you build up a second rear you'll have your stock rear as a spare. That's what I did and it gives you somewhat peace of mind to know you always have a good 10 bolt to go back to if the 3.90 one blows up. I've gotten two seasons out of the rear I built up and now the posi in it is starting to wear out. I'm kind of on the fence about sinking another $450 into the rear for a new posi unit, although it will work in both my 4.10 rear and my stock 3.42 rear.

Quick Reply: Should I buy this rear?