Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aeroforce or scangauge?

Old 12-10-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aeroforce or scangauge?

I'm thinking about adding one of the listed units to my dash to use as a multi gauge. In case some of you are not aware, the 80s Monte Carlo dash boards don't have much room to add many gauges. Who is running these OBD2 gauges and what do you like or dislike about them?

I the most important things I'd like to monitor are coolant temp, trans temp, volt, IAT and trouble codes. I'd also like to be able to reference other parameters like injector duty cycle, spark advance etc. that might come in handy here and there and don't need to be monitored while running down the road.

Please speak up if you know either won't do something I want it to, I mentioned the most important parameters and not reading 1 will be a deal breaker.

Engine is a 2004 5.3 out of a Tahoe and trans is 2003 4L80E out of a Silverado HD. Computer is blue/green plugs. Electronic throttle body if that matters too. I'm leaning toward the ScanGaugeII since its $100 less than the Aeroforce unit and they both seem to do the same stuff. I don't care about eco-readings and driving habit recommendations and all that other garbage. When I want to burn less gas I'll drive my 35mpg Saturn.

Links for anyone who is reading this and wondering what I'm talking about:

http://aeroforcetech.com/index.html

http://www.scangauge.com/

Thanks,
Old 12-10-2012, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have a smartphone handsdown the Bluetooth apps are the way to go. If not, I had a Dashhawk and it worked great but they all pretty much do the same thing. Pick one you like.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Another possibility, only $60.
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm
Old 12-11-2012, 02:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Gary, for $60 that looks hard to beat. I've wasted more money on less useful items.

It's a bit weird that they want you to do a $9 mail in rebate. I wonder if anyone on here has one and how they feel about it.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I did a search, seems like most are fairly happy with it.
I would buy one, but already have an interface for my computer. Not quite as portable but does the same things.

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Gary, for $60 that looks hard to beat. I've wasted more money on less useful items.

It's a bit weird that they want you to do a $9 mail in rebate. I wonder if anyone on here has one and how they feel about it.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by garys 68
I did a search, seems like most are fairly happy with it.
I would buy one, but already have an interface for my computer. Not quite as portable but does the same things.
I also have HP Tuners, but this would be more for a permanent installation since I don't do well with idiot lights.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the tips gents, for the price the ultra gauge looks like it cant be beat. However, it specifically says that it does NOT read transmission temp which is one of my main concerns and reasons for wanting a scanner gauge. I could deal with the non-permanent mounting solution and "steal me" look that comes with the ultra gauge but not reading trans temp is a deal breaker.

If I had a smart phone I'd probably buy the "torque" app but I don't see myself getting one any time soon and the 2 gauges I listed won't cost me money every month.

I'm still torn on the 2 choices. The scan gauge seems harder to set up due to having to "tell" it to read certain parameters like trans temp compared to the aeroforce's true plug and play design. But using advance auto parts website and online coupons I can buy a scangauge for $120 to my door...in comparison the aerofoce unit is $230 from Maryland Speed.

Aeroforce looks nice but reads 2 things at a time. Scangauge is just an ugly rectangle but reads 4 things at a time.

I don't know what to do, someone has to have experience with these products where they can share praises or horror stories...please help me spend my money wisely.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally... I would go aeroforce gauge. I LOVE mine. Its an older one, that flashes the pontiac logo when its booting up. Which I dont think is available anymore.

But its just fantastic. As for it only displaying two things...I found thats about all I needed. With my full array of mechanical gauges it works great for watching my IATs, or my fuel trims, or checking my O2's against each other. It wont show you oil pressure or fuel pressure...at least on my LS1 set up. So the main gauges handle most of the important stuff.

The scangauge is nice because you dont need to panel mount it. You could tuck it anywhere, or graft it into your dash/console someplace.

I just prefer the interceptor.

J.

EDIT: Just found this old pic of my old dash setup. This is the logo option and I REALLY wish they'd bring it back. Not sure if they'd do it if you asked or not, but Ide be tempted to upgrade to a newer gauge if it were still available. My original needs separate power and ground AND OBDii connection. Newer ones are all OBDii and have some nicer features.

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 12-14-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

Well tonight I picked up a used scangaugeII off CL.com. When I saw it posted I thought of it as a sign that I should just get it since it was around the corner and not much more expensive than the unltraguage. Doesn't read fuel trim or injector duty cycle but it will do for now, maybe I'll go aeroforce down the road but I'm excited for my new toy right before Christmas

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aeroforce or scangauge?