Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

anyone PCS back to the states from Germany?

Old 12-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone PCS back to the states from Germany?

Im still in the process of PCS'ing to Ft. Polk, from Germany. This move has been extremely EXPENSIVE.
I got the dislocation allowance advance ($1600 up front, will get $400 after in processing).
I was wondering if there are any other avenues to help cover some of the costs of this PCS move. ??
We just got our house and will be living on air mattresses till our household goods arrives in February. I miss my lazy-boy and big screen.....
Old 12-11-2012, 09:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mpmjason
Im still in the process of PCS'ing to Ft. Polk, from Germany. This move has been extremely EXPENSIVE.
I got the dislocation allowance advance ($1600 up front, will get $400 after in processing).
I was wondering if there are any other avenues to help cover some of the costs of this PCS move. ??
We just got our house and will be living on air mattresses till our household goods arrives in February. I miss my lazy-boy and big screen.....
I did the same move, what I did was go on leave for a month and by the time I got to Fort Hood, my stuff was already there. It sucks for sure, check with your chain of command to see what they can do for you. Maybe someone in your new unit can help out.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Launching!

I sold my 700hp mustang to cover all the cost, and to get into a C5Z.

Ive talked to some others who have had some issues. Paying for housing outta my own pocket on post was new for me.
Didnt get reimbursed to pick up my vehicle from dallas.
Didnt get reimbursed for my rental.(dont know how the army expects you to get around without a vehicle with a family especially coming from overseas.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

You guys must be doing it wrong. I always make money PCS'ing. On the furniture thing. ACS has loaner stuff.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:46 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Its best to get familiar with the FTR if you want get the most out of it.
ord to the wise , I am an AO for TDY's and with the crackdown on fraudulent TDYs and holding AO's accountable , I will kick back a TDY or deiny the expense if a receipt is missing. The burden of proof is on traveler when it comes to claims. If you file with mis leading, incomplete , or the AO suspects iffy documentation, yo can expect a delay or return of paperwork to the person that filed.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

i was shocked paying for the first month rent here too. Germany was my first duty station, so i had no idea how different the BAH system is over here. The housing ladies thought I was crazy when i griped about paying up front.

I took 30 days leave too, from Nov 13-Dec 12. My household goods were picked up Oct 30th. Luckily my truck got here in 5 weeks, and my unaccompanied baggage got here in 6 weeks. Hopefully the HHG shipment will get here early as hell too.

As far as ACS/lending closet here goes, they had the basic pots, pans, and all that stuff. But no real furniture. I did get a folding table and some folding chairs. I might just buy a cheap old couch to get me bye till my furniture gets here.
Tonight I'll be leaving for my parents (18 hour round trip), to tow back another vehicle. This should be the last time I spend money on moving expenses.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Usually you get DLA, Advanced Travel and can request Advanced Pay (A loan from your self). Of course, I wouldn't recommend Advanced Pay unless you need it but DLA and Advanced Travel should be enough to get you at least settled. Once you Inprocess at Polk, you should file your final voucher and get any remaining Travel Pay.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:11 AM
Teching In

Why are you paying anything? When I ETSed from Germany(at Baumholder for 4 years lol) the only cost out of pocket was for my Trans Am because I sent my Mustang home already. They shipped all my house hold goods to my mother's house, and my Trans Am was through a private company(cost about 1600$). Personally if you can sell it at cost that's what I would do.

Also I bought my 55"TV with 120hz(refurbished) for about 730ish with tax and 3 year warranty through Walmart. I would be highly surprised if you couldn't find a better deal through the PX.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

I never had to pay a dime on a PCS. I had already searched out a place to live prior to PCS, and got the ball rolling on the lease agreement. I took about 45 days of leave (was directly after a 15 month deployment, skipped block leave and waived my 3 month reintegration) And all my stuff was there and waiting on me by the time I went through transportation. The move from Germany should not require much. Setting up the housing on the Fort Polk side may require a few start up fees on your utilities, but some places will waive that if you argue with em And as mentioned above, ACS has the "closet" that you can borrow stuff out of till your stuff gets there.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jay Gadsby
I never had to pay a dime on a PCS. I had already searched out a place to live prior to PCS, and got the ball rolling on the lease agreement. I took about 45 days of leave (was directly after a 15 month deployment, skipped block leave and waived my 3 month reintegration) And all my stuff was there and waiting on me by the time I went through transportation. The move from Germany should not require much. Setting up the housing on the Fort Polk side may require a few start up fees on your utilities, but some places will waive that if you argue with em And as mentioned above, ACS has the "closet" that you can borrow stuff out of till your stuff gets there.
This! I also got a couch through housing and a bed etc. etc. Plus the pots and pans for a set in the PX are like 30$, unless it's changed sometime in the last few years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anyone PCS back to the states from Germany?