Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Options for 5.3 w/afm

Old 12-11-2012, 03:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options for 5.3 w/afm

I have the opportunity to get a low mileage 5.3 from a 2008 Silverado for $800. Its an ly5 i believe. The engine is 100% complete with accessories and engine wiring. The destination would be my 70' Nova, if i get it. I have been googling, not really coming up with all the answers i need. I believe the engine has afm also. Im at a crossroad on which way to go with this engine. Heres the different scenerios im looking at: (cost is a factor right now since i have other things to get done on my Nova to finish it)

1. Keep the EFI, which is what id like to do. Possible cam swap. If i kept the efi, what do i do with the afm?

2. Drop the efi, go with Thumpr cam, Edelbrock intake/carb set up. Do the afm lifters have to be swapped out for this cam swap? If so, what lifters do i use?

3. Steer clear of the ly5 totally, or is it a perfectly fine candiate?

4. If i go the cam/intake/carb route now, and i eventually go back to efi, will that cam work with the efi?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can delete the AFM, go with an aftermarket cam, and keep the EFI.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtie972
I have the opportunity to get a low mileage 5.3 from a 2008 Silverado for $800. Its an ly5 i believe. The engine is 100% complete with accessories and engine wiring. The destination would be my 70' Nova, if i get it. I have been googling, not really coming up with all the answers i need. I believe the engine has afm also. Im at a crossroad on which way to go with this engine. Heres the different scenerios im looking at: (cost is a factor right now since i have other things to get done on my Nova to finish it)

1. Keep the EFI, which is what id like to do. Possible cam swap. If i kept the efi, what do i do with the afm?

Heads gotta come off, the AFM lifters suck then you can cam it!

2. Drop the efi, go with Thumpr cam, Edelbrock intake/carb set up. Do the afm lifters have to be swapped out for this cam swap? If so, what lifters do i use?

Going carb will be more expensive IMHO. There are better cams out there, I'd call comp and have them spec you a cam for your nova but not til you get it all figured out as far as which way you wanna go with the 5.3.
Yes the lifters suck, just go with Ls7 lifters they are the replacement for all Ls motors.

3. Steer clear of the ly5 totally, or is it a perfectly fine candiate?

What are you looking for? What are your goals with the Nova?

4. If i go the cam/intake/carb route now, and i eventually go back to efi, will that cam work with the efi?

No because plastic intakes prefer different cams than carb style intakes like a tighter LSA. But I guess you'd be able to if need be. Just my .2
Here ya go
Old 12-11-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Afm/dod delete for sure and def efi. Why the hell ppl are going for a carb on anything besides a total drag car is beyond me
Old 12-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Teching In

My plans for the Nova are pretty much a cruiser, maybe a long run on the hwy occasionaly. Not really looking for a drag car, just a quick, fun to drive street car. Id like to keep it pretty much stock other than a cam, hopefully keep decent mileage. A noticeable idle would be nice. Im convined to stay with the efi, just gotta get a package figured out as far as which cam, what to do with my harness and what ecm i need
Old 12-11-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Youll want a dyno tune after the cam swap but your factory computer is fine
Old 12-12-2012, 04:05 AM
Teching In

Im totally fine with a stock 5.3 for my application, with that in mind can i leave the afm parts intact? Is it a must to remove them? Please excuse my ignorance on the ecm part of it but will the afm still work in a transplant like this? Lowest cost possible is my goal right now, upgrades may come in the future. This isnt a racing application.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Scoggins/Dickey has an AFM delete kit that is reasonable. I want to delete it on my 09 truck! 5.3 with a cam will move that Nova and you'll be more than happy!!! I plan on putting a 5.3 in my sons' 79 Z28 with a small cam. Of course, he wants my 427 thats in my T/A. Not.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bowtie972
Im totally fine with a stock 5.3 for my application, with that in mind can i leave the afm parts intact? Is it a must to remove them? Please excuse my ignorance on the ecm part of it but will the afm still work in a transplant like this? Lowest cost possible is my goal right now, upgrades may come in the future. This isnt a racing application.
AFM cams are different, as well as the lifters and valley cover. if you dont change those things youre going to have oil pressure issues. You can easily swap the AFM cam for a factory cam (LS6, and a few others are good suggestions)and still gain a few hp without having to get springs etc.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Teching In

I talked to jon at PSI and i also called Speartech to get a couple different opinions. For my application, which is basically just a street car/driver, not a racer, I can leave the afm intact, and inoperable and it will live just as if it were a normal everyday truck. To keep the install cost as minimal as possible right now, thats prob what i will do. These are my harness/computer options from PSI:

1: W or W/O Drive By Wire, harness, $549

2: Computer w/ tune for DBW, $250

3: Computer w/tune and Lingenfelter box for Drive by cable, $450

So first im going to get the engine physically mounted in and see if the truck intake will fit under my stock 70, hood. If so, ill get the DBW setup and run it.

If not, ill look at an LS1 intake and cable TB and go the Lingenfelter box way.

Which I might do anyway, not 100% sure yet.
I may do the cam swap in the future???

If im missing something here please chime in, I would appreciate the input! Thanks!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I swapped a DOD (same as AM) 5.3 out of a GMC Envoy into a BMW. The DOD wiring was not activated so I didn't anticipate any problems. I swapped the oil pan to a GTO not realizing that the Envoy pan had a special oil pressure regulator for the DOD mechanism. I killed several lifters before I found out that I needed a non-DOD valley cover to completely shut off the DOD oil passages.

So, if you decide to swap pans, make sure to use a non-AFM valley cover to completely inactivate the AFM.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Ok. Thanks for the heads up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Options for 5.3 w/afm