General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

1998 Camro LS1 Questions..

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Camro LS1 Questions..

Hallo guys whats up???

i want to buy me a ls1 camaro this wintertime. just in case i find a good one. or for a good low price...

i found one but its a 1998 ls1.

so i already know that they have to old ls1 in it with egr and **** like that.

but what else is better at a 2001 camaro and up?

and i heard the 1998 camaros got the old lt1 limited slip difs?

the 1999 maros and up got the Torsen differential. qnd 1998 maros got a auburn diff. i bet all 1998-2002 z28 camaro have a posi rear. but whats the differnet between these 2 diffs. do they have the same problems and which one is better?

want to know all about the 1998 camaro and the problems with the 98. and whats better at 2001 and up.

Thanks from germany!!!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaMax
Hallo guys whats up???

i want to buy me a ls1 camaro this wintertime. just in case i find a good one. or for a good low price...

i found one but its a 1998 ls1.

so i already know that they have to old ls1 in it with egr and **** like that.

but what else is better at a 2001 camaro and up?

want to know all about the 1998 camaro and the problems with the 98. and whats better at 2001 and up.
Not everything is better on the newer years. Some things are, some are not. Here is a link that lists some '98 specific stuff, including the advantages:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/16904072-post7.html

Here is another link that covers the broader scope of differences between the model years:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...questions.html

Those should answer your questions.

Originally Posted by FloridaMax
and i heard the 1998 camaros got the old lt1 limited slip difs?

the 1999 maros and up got the Torsen differential. qnd 1998 maros got a auburn diff. i bet all 1998-2002 z28 camaro have a posi rear. but whats the differnet between these 2 diffs. do they have the same problems and which one is better?
The posi units work differently between the clutch-type Auburn and the non-clutch Torsen. Neither is decisively better or worse, they are just different and therefore have marginally different positives and negatives. Some people prefer a Torsen because there are no clutches to wear out, but some prefer the Auburn because it is quieter and slightly more "predictable" (for lack of a better word) in certain conditions. Your average driver will not notice any difference between the two, other than increased chatter from the Torsen.

Quick Reply: 1998 Camro LS1 Questions..