General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Block Heater vs. Oil Pan Heater

Old 12-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block Heater vs. Oil Pan Heater

Gents,

Forgive me if this is a noobee question but I couldn't find anything using the search function. My LS3 GTO will be sitting all winter. The car is being stored in my garage, however the garage is NOT heated. The car has a massive cam and HATES cold starts (even more than I do) to the point where I have to rev her to 1200 to even keep her running for the first few minutes. Even though I wont be starting her up very often (no worries, I have a trickle charger/ maintainer), I would like some advice/opinions on what you guys think as far as heaters are concerned. It can get plenty cold here in Chicago, but If I got a dry day I would definitely take her out for a spin. Does anyone use oil pan heaters for their stored garage queens? I hate the idea of permanently affixing a heating pad with a cord under the oil pan, but there doesn't seem to be many other options available.

Any help or input would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Old 12-12-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

You could also try the dipstick style heater.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Great call on the dipstick heater. I did read that Canada outlawed them due to fire hazards...? Sounds a lot more practical than having a friggin cord hanging free in the engine bay all the time. I like the oil pan heater idea bc heat rises and it will prob evenly heat the oil pan, but I just can't get past the idea of having a permanent heater down there with a permanent cord running through the engine bay. Anyone here actually using a dip-stick heater??
Old 12-13-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not heat the garage?
Torpedo heaters are not real expensive.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

IMO just park it for the winter and call it good...we get lots of dry days here in NY in the winter but the roads are still full of salt, etc. Keep it on the tender and when the nice days in the spring come take it out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Block Heater vs. Oil Pan Heater