Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60E Transmission difference 6 cyl

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 4l60E Transmission difference 6 cyl

Is there any difference between a 4l60E out of a 2001 firebird with a 6 cylinder and a 2002 LS1? Any issues or differen in gear ratios, or something with the computer that would prohibit me from grabbing the trans from a firebird and putting it in my 02 camaro?
Old 12-12-2012, 05:56 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

No, there are no significant differences; the internals are the same.
The ONLY differences will be in the size of a few holes in the separator plate and perhaps the stiffness of the springs in the 1-2 accumulator. The V6 is thereby "tuned" for softer shifts. The separator plate can have a few holes drilled larger to make the shifts more firm. Better yet would be to install the Transgo HD2 shift kit which gives you the drilling directions, firmer springs and boosts the line pressure so that the frictions and band last longer with higher HP.

My mistake: While the "internals" are the same, there are significant differences in the input shaft, pump and bell housing which make a V6 trans unsuitable.

Last edited by mrvedit; 12-16-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Corrected my mistake
Old 12-12-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

Okay that I can do. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a good chance this will not have the Corvette servo, coming from a V6.

I would plan on changing the 2nd gear servo and seals. $20 change.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

the bell housing and input shaft are completely different also the accumulator piston is plastic instead of aluminum which is prone to cracking and will cause a soft 1-2 shift but other wise they are the same.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by bwkmaro
the bell housing and input shaft are completely different also the accumulator piston is plastic instead of aluminum which is prone to cracking and will cause a soft 1-2 shift but other wise they are the same.
Oops, I thought all '98 and later would be 300mm input shaft. Am I wrong?

Look at the trans from the V6; if the bell housing has a bolt hole at the 12 o'Clock position, then it is a 300mm unit compatible with an LS engine. Otherwise a lot of parts have to change; more than the trans is worth.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Oops, I thought all '98 and later would be 300mm input shaft. Am I wrong?

Look at the trans from the V6; if the bell housing has a bolt hole at the 12 o'Clock position, then it is a 300mm unit compatible with an LS engine. Otherwise a lot of parts have to change; more than the trans is worth.
the V6 trans won't even have a spot for a bolt at 12:00. It will be more of a square bell housing especilly on the top. I dont have much experience with that era v6 4l60's but my converter book says the input shaft is the same. Im almost positive that its wrong though. I know they are substantially different on the older v6 ones. When I look up input shafts there are 5 different options after 1998
Old 12-13-2012, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

Yea, that aint going to work. The trans in the car is still working but I think its time is just about up, seems soft, fluid doesn't smell great, not sure of the history on it. Time for a freshen up.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Pump stator is different as well. Internally they are the same.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Teching In

the pump stator and input shaft are different plus valvebody calibration are different gm switched to the platic piston in all 4l60es around 97 gear ratios are the same but v8 have better oiling to the planetarys build your ls unit it be cheaper than swapping parts
Old 12-16-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pricesgarage
the pump stator and input shaft are different plus valvebody calibration are different gm switched to the platic piston in all 4l60es around 97 gear ratios are the same but v8 have better oiling to the planetarys build your ls unit it be cheaper than swapping parts
How so?
Old 12-16-2012, 04:30 PM

I think he is referring to the rear planet "Oil Deflector" which the ATSG lists as "High Output Models Only".
Please correct me, but my understanding is that this had little/no benefit and GM stopped including it around 2001.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:30 PM

I think he is referring to the rear planet "Oil Deflector" which the ATSG lists as "High Output Models Only".
Please correct me, but my understanding is that this had little/no benefit and GM stopped including it around 2001.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, there are no significant differences; the internals are the same.
The ONLY differences will be in the size of a few holes in the separator plate and perhaps the stiffness of the springs in the 1-2 accumulator. The V6 is thereby "tuned" for softer shifts. The separator plate can have a few holes drilled larger to make the shifts more firm. Better yet would be to install the Transgo HD2 shift kit which gives you the drilling directions, firmer springs and boosts the line pressure so that the frictions and band last longer with higher HP.

My mistake: While the "internals" are the same, there are significant differences in the input shaft, pump and bell housing which make a V6 trans unsuitable.
Ted, I really appreciate your PM's!

I got the Corvette Servo and Sonnax Boost Valve from summit. I am going to go ahead and get the Transgo HD2 shift kit and also the Transgo 46-PLT-96 separator plate. Since a boost valve comes with the HD2 kit, I will send the Sonnax back.

I am not looking to chirp the wheels. Therefore, all I need to do is to use the smallest drill size that is listed in the instruction. Correct?

If I use the smallest holes listed, will I still see a difference in shift quality - little firmer?

Thanks

Waid
Attached Thumbnails 4l60E Transmission difference 6 cyl-sox-4l60e-lb1_xl.jpg   4l60E Transmission difference 6 cyl-trg-7-2p_w.jpg   4l60E Transmission difference 6 cyl-img004.jpg  

Last edited by waid786; 12-16-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:49 AM

Thanks for posting on this thread; hopefully others will give you additional guidance.

First I would keep and use the Sonnax Boost valve because its o-rings help seal and control pressure better. It might not make much difference in a new pump, but if the bore is worn from many miles, it will help.

Glad you decided to get a new separator plate; in your PMs you mentioned wanting firmer shifts and just a bigger boost valve won't make that much difference. Installing the HD2 kit is not absolutely necessary, but will help too.

Also, I recall a pro recommending AGAINST the Vette servo unless you also drill the separator plate to accommodate it. Cars with the Vette servo come with a slightly differently drilled plate. Unfortunately I do not know which hole(s) to drill for the Vette servo. Perhaps one of the pros can enlighten us. I suspect The HD2 instructions drill the plate to accommodate either servo. (The HD2's accumulator pressure spring does depend upon the servo size.)

For the relatively mild 4.8L you plan to run, I would drill the separator plate to the smallest values in the HD2 instructions, only exception being to drill the 2-3 Shift (3rd apply) hole to .101. Install zero or at most one HD2 washer in the 1-2 accumulator.

My last suggestion for the HD2 kit is to skip Step 5 on Page 2 (Gear Command) to reduce the chance that an unintended downshift overrevs the engine.

Installing the HD2 kit will be very educational and make you much more comfortable working on transmissions.

I recall you saying you have the 4L60E on your bench which certainly makes it easier to work on. What year is it and how many miles are on it. And originally from a V6 engine.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:40 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks for posting on this thread; hopefully others will give you additional guidance.

First I would keep and use the Sonnax Boost valve because its o-rings help seal and control pressure better. It might not make much difference in a new pump, but if the bore is worn from many miles, it will help.

Glad you decided to get a new separator plate; in your PMs you mentioned wanting firmer shifts and just a bigger boost valve won't make that much difference. Installing the HD2 kit is not absolutely necessary, but will help too.

Also, I recall a pro recommending AGAINST the Vette servo unless you also drill the separator plate to accommodate it. Cars with the Vette servo come with a slightly differently drilled plate. Unfortunately I do not know which hole(s) to drill for the Vette servo. Perhaps one of the pros can enlighten us. I suspect The HD2 instructions drill the plate to accommodate either servo. (The HD2's accumulator pressure spring does depend upon the servo size.)

For the relatively mild 4.8L you plan to run, I would drill the separator plate to the smallest values in the HD2 instructions, only exception being to drill the 2-3 Shift (3rd apply) hole to .101. Install zero or at most one HD2 washer in the 1-2 accumulator.

My last suggestion for the HD2 kit is to skip Step 5 on Page 2 (Gear Command) to reduce the chance that an unintended downshift overrevs the engine.

Installing the HD2 kit will be very educational and make you much more comfortable working on transmissions.

I recall you saying you have the 4L60E on your bench which certainly makes it easier to work on. What year is it and how many miles are on it. And originally from a V6 engine.
That sucks. You get a HD2 kit and a Sonnax boost valve, but don't use the 1-2 shift valve in the HD2 kit. I'm guessing he's not going to disassemble the input drum to install the clutch return springs (based on PM's on s10 forum).

So what he ends up with is the performance of the SK kit at the price of the HD2 kit. Wasted $50 plus the cost of the Sonnax valve.

Send the Sonnax valve back, drill all the holes as the kit instructs except 2-3 to .093 to .110, and 1-2 to .070 to .082. And DO NOT use spacers in the Accumulator. Put the blue spring in the housing, put the spring seat upside down (opposite as they show it), then the piston as shown, then the orange spring.

Dana from Pro Built suggested this accumulator set up to me 10 years ago.
Thats about the time I stopped taking things BACK apart because the 1-2 shift was ridiculous and not progressive with the other shifts.

You make 1-2 too hard, it makes 2-3 feel too soft.

The SK kit and boost valve would have been money spent wisely.

PM me if you want to sell that 1-2 valve, seriously I want the valve if you don't use it.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Installing the HD2 kit is not absolutely necessary, but will help too.
Forgive me for being totally newb when it comes to automatics. This is where I am getting confused. How will it help?

Also, I recall a pro recommending AGAINST the Vette servo unless you also drill the separator plate to accommodate it.
So if I drill the separator plate, use Corvette servo, I can bring the V6 4L60 to V8 spec without the use of the HD kit?

My 4.8 completely stock with original cam. I did get the PCM flashed and I was told it now has a minor tune in it like timing adjustment.

The V6 4L60E has little higher miles than I though. It has 83,000 and came out of a 1998 S10 4.3V6. I am off work starting next Thursday Dec 21 to Monday January 1st. I have everything I need so I should be able to finish the swap in a week.

By the way, check out my electric steering post below. I will be doing this conversion but later.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...er-issues.html

Thank you again.

Waid
Old 12-16-2017, 10:51 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by waid786
Forgive me for being totally newb when it comes to automatics. This is where I am getting confused. How will it help?
It makes it non vehicle specific and give you the performance that most people want out of their transmission. When set up properly of course.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

My vote is for the Sonnax Boost valve. The O-rings seal any leaks around the valve bushing and pump. Also the TransGo vale has a lot of slop between the valve and bushing.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:16 PM

Jay's point that you would be wasting some of the HD2 kit is true. But considering it only costs $80, that might not be an issue. IIRC it does include new separator plate gaskets (value $10) drop the difference to $40.
I am glad of Jay's strong "DO NOT use spacers in the Accumulator" suggestion because the HD2 instructions kinda imply the opposite. Excessive harsh shifts are not only annoying, they break U-joints, output shafts, rear ends, etc.

Quick Reply: 4l60E Transmission difference 6 cyl