Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tunnel mounted torque are with sportlines?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tunnel mounted torque are with sportlines?

I want a tunnel mounted adjustable torque are to go with my umi lca's and phb but I have read that a lot of people have had clearance issues. Are there any options here or is the only option to either run a full length with the relocation crossmember or raise the car up. Has anyone experienced better luck with the bmr springs? What about others?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:03 PM
10 Second Club

I had some trouble with mine hitting stuff but my car was really low. I raised it up about an inch and haven't scraped anything since. I might still go to a trans x-member type though.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a short arm on the car im building and the mount is stupid low,
I would say 3-4'' lower then anything else under the car and its dead center of the car so im sure i will get hung up on stuff
Old 12-13-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9sectruck
i have a short arm on the car im building and the mount is stupid low,
I would say 3-4'' lower then anything else under the car and its dead center of the car so im sure i will get hung up on stuff
Are the rockers even 3-4" off the ground on a stock suspension fbody? I think that's a bit of an exaggeration.

What TA do you have?
Old 12-14-2012, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

I have this one from UMI, sitting on sportlines, it hit everything.

I ordered the one pictured above, I don't know if they sent me the wrong one or what but mine seemed to have a more aggressive downturn. Mine pictured below.

[IMG][/IMG]

Anyway it scraped on everything terribly bad. I noticed it cleared my exhaust by a ton, and it would clear if it was straight across like the one pictured below. So I had a buddy that could weld cut off the part that angles down and make it straight across like these ones.

Since then I have tons more ground clearance. So I would only buy a tunnel mounted tourque arm if, you can get away with buying the straight across torque arm mount. On UMI's website it says this one is for stock exhaust, but my exhaust is not stock and it cleared mine. So I would do some measurements and see if you could get away with the straight across torque arm mount, or have your exhaust modified to work with it. If not stay away from the one that angles downward, if your sitting on sportlines especially. Mine was like maybe 2 inches from the ground, see below. It made the car a hassle to drive anywhere. Hope this helps somebody, I could of used it before I ordered mine.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-14-2012, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

I was looking through pics on UMI's website, and found the torque arm that looks like mine. I guess they sent me the one for dual exhaust. (I'm positive I did not order this one)

I don't how much more clearance the "long tube headers" torque arm mount has to offer over the "dual exhaust" torque arm mount, but it does not look like a big difference. So I would still say go with the straight across torque arm mount if you can get away with it.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, that was the torque arm I was looking at getting, I was just unsure if it will clear my y-pipe. I have the bbk 2.5" into 3" merge, but it still hangs pretty low. I am sure I can probably tuck it up more, but unsure if I can get it up far enough to clear that straight tunnel brace. I guess we will have to see.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Mine merges into 3" also, so you should be able to get it on there one way or another.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:10 PM
10 Second Club

That UMI one is the same one I have, it hangs really low.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

Before you buy anything get under your car and take the tunnel brace off and put a straight edge across it. If you can or say they exhaust hangs down less then 1/4" you can run the straight tunnel mount!
I have pacesetter long tubes and they clear the straight brace easy.

I spent a lot of time on the phone with Ramey from UMI and he answered a lot of questions for me. The only difference between the two is the tunnel mount is either straight of dipped for more header clearance.

Quick Reply: Tunnel mounted torque are with sportlines?