Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Cannot unlock doors w/o horn blasting

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot unlock doors w/o horn blasting

Hello, thanks in advance for all the help.
01 WS6 66k 6speed
If I unlock my drivers door using my key I have 5 seconds to jump into the car and place my ignition in the run position before my horn starts. If I open from the passenger side it starts honking immediately. This can all be bypassed using the remote fob but is still an issue. Also my security dash light is always on. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Launching!

Check your owners manual for security settings or something like that. There are settings to turn that stuff off. I had the same issues when I bought mine, super annoying.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Its not simply a setting. Its the security feature. The alarm is only turned off using the remote / key fob. If you use the key, you aren't disarming the alarm. However, when you start the car with the key, the alarm is then disabled.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Teching In

So are you saying my alarm is shot?
Old 12-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

No. I'm saying to use your key fob to unlock the car.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Teching In

There has to be something wrong...it never did it before and now my security light is on...but ya, I can use the key fob. Thanks
Old 12-14-2012, 05:43 PM
Launching!

its called passive arming, and my car did something similar. With my doors unlocked after a few minutes the alarm would arm and if i opened my door the alarm would go off even though the door was unlocked. Do a search on here and there is a way to change the factory arming settings by doing a procedure that involves cycling the ignition switch and the door lock switches in a pattern. I would try doing that as it took care of my problem.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

As VIP1 said, the mechanical door locks are not connected to the alarm system. If the alarm is armed and the driver's door is opened without disarming the alarm first (using the remote), you have several seconds to get in and turn the ignition on to disarm the alarm otherwise the horn honks and the lights flash. There is no delay on the passenger's door - if you open it without disarming the alarm first, it starts honking the horn and flashing the lights immediately. Using the key to lock or unlock the door does not arm or disarm the alarm. This is by design and is the same for all 4th generation f-bodies so your alarm is not shot and is working the way it was intended. If you ever used the alarm before, it worked as described above.

The only way this could have changed on your car is if you have never used the alarm before and now it has been set for passive arming (i.e. it arms itself without you using the remote or the power lock switch inside the door). This is extremely unlikely because there is a very specific programming sequence you have to go through to turn on passive arming.

The SECURITY light on the dash has nothing to do with the alarm system. It is an indicator that the Vehicle Anti Theft System (VATS) in the Body Control Module (BCM) is not reading the correct resistance from the pellet on the ignition key when you start the car. Try cleaning the key contacts with a pencil eraser and then rubbing alcohol or use your spare key. If neither of those fix the SECURITY light then you may have to replace the ignition cylinder or just do a VATS bypass.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone! I got a new battery for the key fob, reset my car battery, and cleaned the resistor chip in my key. All is well.

Quick Reply: Cannot unlock doors w/o horn blasting