Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Manual transmission linkage

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual transmission linkage

I`am trying to hook up the manual borg warner transmission on my 1979 trans am 10th anniv.
but I`am having trouble to connect to linkage properly. Does anyone has a photo or diagram to do so?
Old 12-21-2012, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

The front lever on a T10 is 3rd/4th, the middle is 1st/2nd and the rear is the reverse.

You'll need to find the linkage that ties the levers from your shifter to the transmission levers:

On the shifter, the 1st/2nd gate is the lever towards the driver's side, 3rd/4th is the middle lever, reverse is the one towards the driver's side.

Find the linkage rod that reaches to the reverse lever on the trans first (shortest) and the shifter's driver's side lever, then go to the next (1st/2nd) in the middle of the trans to the shifter's passenger side lever, then the longest rod between the trans lever at the front to the shifter's middle lever.

You may have to experiment a little, and adjust the rods so that the neutral detents on the trans levers puts the shifter in the neutral position (so it can move sideways from gate to gate).

I found this pic:

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/ho.../photo_02.html

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Above assumes your shifter's REV gate is on the driver's right, if it is to the driver's left, then the attachments to the shifter's levers is different (the pic in the link shows the REV gate on the driver's left).

Quick Reply: Manual transmission linkage