New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does it pay to eat the additional costs from a LS1 to a LS3 if I plan to stroke it

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does it pay to eat the additional costs from a LS1 to a LS3 if I plan to stroke it

I have bought a 540cid some years ago but lost my job then and after a long voyage of dilemma I on the way up again.

Now that I got a new job I would like to continue my 68 Impala pro touring built.

Since I think the 540BBC is not as up to date anymore I would rather like to go with an fuel injected engine.

Actually with an LS3 but I like the stroked LS-engines. My question is now:

Does it pay to eat the additional costs of a LS3 if I plan to stroke it anyways or should I go with an LS1 that seems to be cheaper.

What is the cheapest price of

A: A complete LS1 ready to run, so with stand alone harness and so on
B: A complete LS3 ready to run, so with stand alone harness and so on

and in comparism to that

what is the cheapest price (and who sells) for a 427, 454 or something like that also ready to put in the car?
Old 12-15-2012, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hannes_slanec
I have bought a 540cid some years ago but lost my job then and after a long voyage of dilemma I on the way up again.

Now that I got a new job I would like to continue my 68 Impala pro touring built.

Since I think the 540BBC is not as up to date anymore I would rather like to go with an fuel injected engine.

Actually with an LS3 but I like the stroked LS-engines. My question is now:

Does it pay to eat the additional costs of a LS3 if I plan to stroke it anyways or should I go with an LS1 that seems to be cheaper.

What is the cheapest price of

A: A complete LS1 ready to run, so with stand alone harness and so on
B: A complete LS3 ready to run, so with stand alone harness and so on

and in comparism to that

what is the cheapest price (and who sells) for a 427, 454 or something like that also ready to put in the car?
You'll want to check Scoggin-Dickey...SDPARTS as they market all the GM
performance crate engines in just about any cubic inch you want, plus they
come with a 2year warranty. I just recently sold a turbocharged 69 Impala
with an old school 383 stroker but if I were to do it all over again I'd run the
GM 376 crate engine...either the low compression for boost or perhaps the
525 horse version which I think would be right up your alley..IIRC $7500 range
Unless you like to bring a cannon to a slingshot fight then the 454 LSX could
be your cup of tea.....
Old 12-15-2012, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Hmmmm but I would prefer an all aluminum engine... thats why I think about to geht a LS1 relatively cheap and stroke it....

7500 at that certain company? Remember, I also need the Harness and ECM
I saw a lot of drop out-engines on eBay as well...I would like to go with an 6-speed auto-trans also....

I love the idea of a boosted LS-engine...but I am outside the states and that turbo-tech is quite complicated...especially with EFI-engines.

You have to mess around with the injectors, the ECM and so on and so on...but probably the same by increasing the displacement
Old 12-15-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check Texas Speed for the price of a 383 rotating stroker kit.I seen ls3 at SDPC for $6250.you can buy a intake /ignition system from elderbrock .
Old 12-16-2012, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by garygnu
check Texas Speed for the price of a 383 rotating stroker kit.I seen ls3 at SDPC for $6250.you can buy a intake /ignition system from elderbrock .
Texas looks very good. Your idea seems to be cheap but I fear I am to dumb to build such an engine myself. I think it is better to save money and to by an turn-key engine.
That EFI is too complicated for me.

Arround 14000 for a crate stroker including harness, computer and serpentine setup appears cheap to me, whats your thoughts about?

Any other advices about companies selling ready to run strokers?

An all aluminum 450 plus cubes engine would be great.

And one more question, does the aftermarket crates also feature the fuel saving systems like variable valve timing or cylinder deactivation?
Old 12-17-2012, 11:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you want turn key and big inches call these guys.......
http://www.lsxtv.com/news/virginia-s...-460-ls-build/

Quick Reply: Does it pay to eat the additional costs from a LS1 to a LS3 if I plan to stroke it