Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powdercoating Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 01:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Powdercoating Transmissions

We're looking at powdercoating all of our performance builds. Here's a sample pic. The tailhousing is painted our normal color, the case is powdercoated.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

it looks KEWL ! but does powder coating make for more heat retention or is it a moot point?
Old 12-15-2012, 10:03 PM
FormerVendor

Not really a concern, heat is mostly produced by the converter and should be transferred by the cooler. The case releases some heat but powdercoating isn't going to make it run hotter. There's not much airflow over the case in most applications.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:39 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Really nice looking.
I had one 4L60E case bead-blasted but didn't want to pay another $100 for powder coating because no one sees it and it would just be a spare.
I don't think that a few thousands of an inch of paint will change the heat transfer characteristics by a measurable amount. Paint only matters in terms of reflectivity of sunlight. I think a trans sits where the "sun don't shine".
Old 12-15-2012, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as long as the price doesnt go up or if it does have it as an opt for people, i personally wouldnt pay extra for PC

none the less it looks badass
Old 12-16-2012, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blackbird-ws6
as long as the price doesnt go up or if it does have it as an opt for people, i personally wouldnt pay extra for pc

+1...
Old 12-16-2012, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

did i miss the open house jake?
Old 12-16-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good stuff!
Old 12-16-2012, 11:25 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
as long as the price doesnt go up or if it does have it as an opt for people, i personally wouldnt pay extra for PC

It wouldn't cause a significant price increase because we are already blasting all the cases.
I'm not trying to compete for lowest price and I think most of our customer base are willing to pay for the quality we offer, and this is one aspect of that quality difference above and beyond most other transmission shops.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:27 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
did i miss the open house jake?
Yes, we did that in September.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
It wouldn't cause a significant price increase because we are already blasting all the cases.
I'm not trying to compete for lowest price and I think most of our customer base are willing to pay for the quality we offer, and this is one aspect of that quality difference above and beyond most other transmission shops.
thats all fine and everything but when im and im sure others are looking for a good trans builder we aint thinking about whos PCing there cases or not and i aint going to go with a company over the other just bc one might be PCing my case and other company aint

even if you raise the price lets say $20 it isnt fair for the people that dont have the extra money to spend even if its only $20, $20 here and $20 there add up fast.

i think it should be a opt if one wants there unit PCed or not

none the less i think you guys to great work, i know alot of people that run your trans and love them, i will be buying one of your 4l80 stg 2 soon (non-PCed please lol)
Old 12-17-2012, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

thats all fine and everything but when im and im sure others are looking for a good trans builder we aint thinking about whos PCing there cases or not and i aint going to go with a company over the other just bc one might be PCing my case and other company aint

even if you raise the price lets say $20 it isnt fair for the people that dont have the extra money to spend even if its only $20, $20 here and $20 there add up fast.

i think it should be a opt if one wants there unit PCed or not

none the less i think you guys to great work, i know alot of people that run your trans and love them, i will be buying one of your 4l80 stg 2 soon (non-PCed please lol)
The other thing about the powdercoating is that is saves the builders a lot of time. The shop pays less in cost for labor to paint cases and less in material cost for paint itself. It saves the builder a fair amount of time so the case is ready and prepped at an expedited rate, so it also decreases the production time to slam transmissions out the door quicker
Old 12-17-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it saves them money then it should save me money.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

If it saves them money then it should save me money.
The overall cost is likely not reduced, as the shop still pays for powdercoating. If anything it's more for the aesthetic appeal of the case (You would not BELIEVE how many people will complain about their case looking bad because it's been underneath a car for a year and they took it out to do a motor swap and freaked out) and for the labor time that is saved for the builder.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree and thats where having it set as an apt for the ones who want it
Old 12-17-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

I agree and thats where having it set as an apt for the ones who want it
It has always been an optional thing for the people who want it. Like I said, powdercoating increases productivity for the builder so they can push product out faster without sacrificing quality
Old 12-17-2012, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
It has always been an optional thing for the people who want it. Like I said, powdercoating increases productivity for the builder so they can push product out faster without sacrificing quality
In this case it hasnt and if it was what was the point of the thread
Old 12-17-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

In this case it hasnt and if it was what was the point of the thread
I'm not sure I get what you mean? It saves the builders time and expedites the process in any case? Jake's point of the thread was probably to let people know about a new change in the way the transmissions will be aesthetically finished.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
I'm not sure I get what you mean? It saves the builders time and expedites the process in any case? Jake's point of the thread was probably to let people know about a new change in the way the transmissions will be aesthetically finished.

listen its simple, i dont want to be charged for something i dont want
Old 12-17-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

listen its simple, i dont want to be charged for something i dont want
Look dude I don't work for Jake, so I have nothing to gain or lose from this arguing back and forth, but it's basically a package deal. That's like if a customer says "Oh don't bother sanding or polishing the edges of the case to remove stuck grime or oxidation, just skip that and take the cost of labor you saved and deduct it from my total." Or if they say "Oh, rollerizing the internals doesn't matter to me, just keep the plastic thrust washers. Just deduct the cost of the torrington bearings from my total" or "No, I don't want new solenoids or a wiring harness, I know they cost about $60 bucks total, but just reuse the ones that came with the core and save me $60 bucks on the build". It doesn't work that way.

Quick Reply: Powdercoating Transmissions