LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Valves?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valves?

Got the car all back together after having it torn apart to replace my head gaskets. Went to turn it on and there was a lot of resistance and it was back firing. It would start, idle for a second, and shut off abruptly.

When we adjusted the valves we went from left to right on the drivers side. When the valve on the right side of the cylinder was all the way up we would adjust the valve on the left, and so on. After reading this seems horribly wrong.

I'm interested in what you guys think. I'm gonna take my valve covers off in the morning and see if I've bent my pushrods.

Is there a reliable way to adjust the valves without pulling the intake?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:00 PM
9 Second Club

go get a service manual
Old 12-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike.
When we adjusted the valves we went from left to right on the drivers side. When the valve on the right side of the cylinder was all the way up we would adjust the valve on the left, and so on. After reading this seems horribly wrong.
When adjusting valves you want to make sure the valve you are adjusting is at the base circle of the cam. There are a couple of sure fire methods to ensure this. Did you do any research beforehand? You should also double check that all of your plug wires are routed to the correct cylinders.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

very easy way to adjust valves.

Pick a cylinder. turn the engine over till the Exhaust valve starts to open. At this point adjust the Intake Valve. Now turn the engine until the intake valve is closing and almost closed. At this point adjust the Exhaust valve.

Repeat for every cylinder
Old 12-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS RRR
When adjusting valves you want to make sure the valve you are adjusting is at the base circle of the cam. There are a couple of sure fire methods to ensure this. Did you do any research beforehand? You should also double check that all of your plug wires are routed to the correct cylinders.
I read some of the stuff on shbox's tech page. I don't trust that my crank pulley hasn't been messed with, so the timing thing was out.

I get confused on when the vavle is open or closed.

Open when the spring is compressed?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

You adjust them when they are closed fully. (not compressed) You did it backwards.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Just got back in from doing it shbox's cylinder by cylinder method. I spun the car over without the spark plugs on and it cranks normal. Hopefully when I put it all back together in the morning it'll fire up.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You really should have pulled all the pushrods and rolled them on a piece of glass to see if they were straight.
Then with all the rockers off you could try and put some sort of straight edge across the valve tips to see if any hung low, low would indicate a valve not closing as far as the others which would be a reasonably good indication of it being bent.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:49 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by Mike.
I read some of the stuff on shbox's tech page. I don't trust that my crank pulley hasn't been messed with, so the timing thing was out.

I get confused on when the vavle is open or closed.

Open when the spring is compressed?
Yes. The rocker is pushing the valve open. Whatever you do, do not ever use the crank damper/pulley as a TDC reference. Because it is not keyed or because if it were ever taken off it may have not been put back in the exact position. One of the best ways to find TDC for #1 is to take the #1 plug out, turn the crank by hand and on the compression stroke, use a McD's type straw to put into the cylinder. Turn crank until you feel the most resistance while tugging on the straw. You are then at TDC and now you can use the crank damper/pulley as a reference.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

Tried to start it this morning and got the same problem.

Looked all around and noticed the opti was sitting sort of crooked and wasn't completely flush with the block. Pulled it and replaced it.

Now I can't get the new one to slide in to place. I've tried everything but forcing it on, which I don't want to do. Gave up for tonight.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That pin can be a PITA
Old 12-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Village Troll

It should easily slide in. With the engine in the car it can be tedious at times to get aligned and go in. You do know there's only one slot it goes in? It's the rectangular one as what's displayed on shoebox's page. Again, please make sure to double/triple/nanocheck the plug wire routings to make sure they are on the correct cylinders.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS RRR
It should easily slide in. With the engine in the car it can be tedious at times to get aligned and go in. You do know there's only one slot it goes in? It's the rectangular one as what's displayed on shoebox's page. Again, please make sure to double/triple/nanocheck the plug wire routings to make sure they are on the correct cylinders.
I know there's only one spot for the pin. It's getting it there that I'm having trouble with unfortunately.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:46 AM
Village Troll

Just keep at it and don't force it on. It should easily slide on and seat perfectly onto the mounts of the timing cover.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:31 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

that valve adustment procedure sounds out of wack......when intake is returning from full lift do your exhaust when exhaust begins to open do ur intake.........do that 1cyl at a time
Old 12-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Got the new opti in, got everything somewhat buttoned up and tried to start the car.

Ran first time. Definitely happy. Sounds good. Just gotta get this bundle of wires off of my headers on the passenger side. (The ones that go to the starter and such)

There was a bit of smoke coming from both heads. I guess it's just the coating they put on it burning off. Or the loads of stuff that's been put on them. Spilled coolant, etc.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Village Troll

Smoke is most likely from greasy hands. No big deal. What is a big deal are wires on the headers. Get them off before starting again. Hope you didn't burn any through the insulation.

Quick Reply: Valves?