Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hke vs texas speed

Old 12-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hke vs texas speed

both priced around the same. im looking at a 408 long block what do you guys think
Old 12-16-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Depends on if HKE offers some sort of warranty on the parts or their work. I know TSP doesn't offer such on their engines, so they could build a turd and if you end up installing it then you'd be SOL when that thing doesn't run.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Having worked with both, I would say TSP.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redtan
Depends on if HKE offers some sort of warranty on the parts or their work. I know TSP doesn't offer such on their engines, so they could build a turd and if you end up installing it then you'd be SOL when that thing doesn't run.
I think you would be hard pressed to have a solid "bumper to bumper" warranty from any RACE engine.

As mentioned in another post, Texas Speed doesn't have a written warranty, but has stated over and over again, they will warranty their work. IE dead on arrival...I suggest you contact them.

Having never heard of HKE, I would choose TSP. They show a large presence here and will not screw you. Just don't pour anti-freeze in the crank case or run it without oil and expect someone else to pick up the tab.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

IE dead on arrival...I suggest you contact them.
Obviously if the assembled engine arrives and it doesn't turn over or something is off yes you can return it. But as far as I understand, if you install the engine in your car and you start it and it's knocking or doesn't work, that is on you and not the builder since it was installed.

Without a written warranty it's a crapshoot whether you get help or not with a bad engine. Would you buy a brand new car from any of the manufacturers without any sort of written warranty with just having GM tell you "oh yeah we'll warranty it if it doesn't work". Does GMPP sell crate engines without any sort of warranty?

Not knocking on TSP themselves as I'm sure they've done good to many people on these forums. But I personally would have a very hard time dropping $8,000 on an engine that might or might not be warrantied by the builder depending on how they feel that day.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

I see your point, I think the issue here is the intended use and the makers want no liability for 7,000 rpm clutch dumps etc. GM has NO warranty on their high Hp crate engines (which is a small list) A written warranty would clearly explain what is and what is not covered. Even if it is only workmanship.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

I think the issue here is the intended use and the makers want no liability for 7,000 rpm clutch dumps etc. A written warranty would clearly explain what is and what is not covered. Even if it is only workmanship.
I'm not saying that an engine builder should warranty an engine that has been running for thousands of miles in god knows what sort of conditions. But I also don't agree that once an engine is installed it's out of the hands of the builder with just a "you have my word" warranty that could mean anything.

If there was one engine builder out there and that's it then I guess you would have to go with them and hope that they do good on their word. But with a ton of reputable engine builders out there that are more than willing to give you a written warranty I don't see any reason to go with one that doesn't. If anything happens, it's a receipt or written guarantee that's going to stand. You don't go buying a computer from Best Buy with no warranty and hope that Dell or HP will take care of you when you get home and the computer doesn't start.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by redtan
I'm not saying that an engine builder should warranty an engine that has been running for thousands of miles in god knows what sort of conditions. But I also don't agree that once an engine is installed it's out of the hands of the builder with just a "you have my word" warranty that could mean anything.

If there was one engine builder out there and that's it then I guess you would have to go with them and hope that they do good on their word. But with a ton of reputable engine builders out there that are more than willing to give you a written warranty I don't see any reason to go with one that doesn't. If anything happens, it's a receipt or written guarantee that's going to stand. You don't go buying a computer from Best Buy with no warranty and hope that Dell or HP will take care of you when you get home and the computer doesn't start.

I understand! I would feel a lot better too if I knew what was covered. I just wanted to mention having dealt with Texas Speed before, I feel they would man up if something went wrong that was no fault to your own. I would trust them.

This is what GM has to say:

THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:
Damage due to improper installation, negligence, alteration, accident,
improper use, or any use related to racing, track, or competition
. Proper
vehicle use is discussed in the vehicle Owner’s Manual. In addition, coverage
does not apply if the odometer has been disconnected or the mileage reading
has been altered.
• Damage caused by lack of proper maintenance as described in the vehicle’s
original Owner’s Manual/Maintenance Schedule, failure to follow
Maintenance Schedule intervals, or failure to use or maintain proper type
and levels of fluid, fuel, oil, and lubricants recommended in the Owner’s
Manual/Maintenance Schedule. Proof of proper maintenance is the owner’s
responsibility. Keep all receipts and be prepared to make them available if
questions arise about maintenance.
Damage as a result of overheating, contamination, or lack of lubrication.
Damage caused by a turbocharger, supercharger, nitrous oxide, or similar
product, which is not an approved GM Performance Part or Accessory.

Racing engines and/or their components.
• Use of components in excess of maximum torque specification
Old 12-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

HKE. Erik Koenig is the most highly respected LS engine builder in the country. TSP does good work, but Erik all the way.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:39 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll first start by saying that you have many choices in whom you choose for your LS-based engine, and we appreciate you considering TSP for your engine builder and supplier. Below is a link that will give you some insight on our engines and machining process:

http://www.texas-speed.com/t-Enginebuildinfo.aspx

We have been in business for 10 years, and we have a 25,000 sq. ft. facility that houses $1 million of CNC machines and other equipment for our engine and cylinder head programs. We offer such standard services as blue printing your engine block to GM factory specifications, something that nobody else offers in the LS-based engine building business. Most block machines will bore/hone a cylinder wherever it ended up in the block during the casting process. Our CNC block machine actually allows us to locate the cylinders where they should be, not where they end up. Everything in GM has an acceptable variance, and the cylinders can be as much as .003" off one direction or another! We also check each deck surface of the block in SIX different places on each side using the CNC probe to see exactly where the deck surface is at out of the box. Most other machines will check the deck at each end and just mill it to the lowest of the two measurements. Not the best idea if the block has any low spots in it, which many of them do! I can go on and on, but we use machinery for our engine machining and assembly process that many others do not. We also have lead assemblers in the industry. Our two lead assemblers have both assembled over 1,000 LS-based engines each! They are well-versed in what they do, and our reputation speaks for itself. We build over 350 short-block and long-block LS-based engines each year. We also build engines for other shops, one of which builds 1,380 RWHP kit cars.

Why do we not offer a formal warranty? It's because we cannot control the remaining assembly, installation, or tuning of the engine. We tell our customers every day that we will ALWAYS stand behind our work! With that said, you're also buying expertise. You never hear of a TSP engine that shows up and has an issue on start-up that is build-related. We do this for a living, and we also have stringent quality control processes in place to make sure that problems don't arise. We are well established in the LSx market, and you know that we are here to stay. We are here long after the purchase to help in any way. We also ship every TSP engine with a case of Joe Gibbs break-in oil to ensure proper sealing of the rings on start-up and the first few hundred miles of your new engine. Your engine will come complete with break-in instructions, windage tray spacers for stroker applications, and reassurance that you've bought the best available. If we do not have a short-block in stock that will suit your needs, we can have one completed within two weeks. We even offer an expedite service for those customers needing a short-block or long-block engine built within a few days!

Feel free to give any of our salesmen a call to discuss your wants and needs for an engine. We are always here to help in any way possible!

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 12-17-2012, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you good
Old 12-19-2012, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

First of Texas Speed is a great company, but as someone who has worked with HKE, as long as Erik is building engines, he will be building my engines.

HKE Customer for life. I'm about to send them another one.

Again, both are great companies. For parts I'll buy TSP stuff all day, but when I need horsepower I can trust, HKE gets my pick.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
HKE. Erik Koenig is the most highly respected LS engine builder in the country. TSP does good work, but Erik all the way.
When I hear highly respected ls builder I think kup and billy briggs. Im sure erik knows his **** but I wouldnt say hes the most highly respected. Back on topic both shops are good I would trust both as equal for me i would go tsp only because they are alot closer to me where I can actually meet face to face with who im giving my hard earned money to. Gl with whatever you decide.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never seen a texas-speed built engine break fwiw
Old 12-19-2012, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Most people that I know run HKE 408s on their cars and trucks, they never fail and they are built in great quality! Knowing TSP they will never build a "turd" of an engine, they are a great quality vendor and sponsor, and just look at the products they offer, they are all great quality, from cylinder heads to the end of their exhaust systems never fails
Old 12-19-2012, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Most people that I know run HKE 408s on their cars and trucks, they never fail and they are built in great quality! Knowing TSP they will never build a "turd" of an engine, they are a great quality vendor and sponsor, and just look at the products they offer, they are all great quality, from cylinder heads to the end of their exhaust systems never fails
I think a lot of it has to do with location.. Not a lot of People have heard of Flaco's Turbo trucks running HKE engines.

If I had the cash.. I'd go HKE just because they are local and they are highly regarded around here.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ohh im sure alot of people know about Sergio (Flaco)lol He used HKEs 414ci on Hayhauler... Amazing engine and amazing hold of power!
Old 12-19-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Location shouldnt be a big concern as long as you get what you pay for
Old 12-19-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
never seen a texas-speed built engine break fwiw
Your lucky, bad experience years ago, no further comment. If had to build another engine if would be LME, then HKE.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
Your lucky, bad experience years ago, no further comment. If had to build another engine if would be LME, then HKE.
How long ago was that bud?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hke vs texas speed