Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing marks lined up correct?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Timing marks lined up correct?

im 99% sure this is correct but i want to make sure and i have time while i wait for more goodies to come so, im use to the DOT to DOT method but my crank gear had the A2, A4 and R2 and R4 etc marks, im assuming its A for advance 2 or 4 or 6 degrees and R for retard?

for a brute speed blower cam would u go with this?

Old 12-16-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you're correct about the marks being a for advance and r for retard. The marks are right if you're running the cam straight up. Not sure about whether you want to advance or retard for what you are doing.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:48 PM
12 Second Club

Looks like you have it set for 2° retard if thats what youre after. Tho im not %100 sure if youre supposed to clock the crank and still use the zero degree mark to line it up with the cam sprocket. Maybe consult with the manufacturer or installation instructions as a booboo here will be costly
Old 12-17-2012, 07:10 AM
Teching In

Timing set should come with directions. If not the brand website can provide them. While it is quite simple your pic isn't the best and I would trust the actual directions before netapedia.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nomasterase
Looks like you have it set for 2° retard if thats what youre after. Tho im not %100 sure if youre supposed to clock the crank and still use the zero degree mark to line it up with the cam sprocket. Maybe consult with the manufacturer or installation instructions as a booboo here will be costly
What he has is correct for straight up. If you look, you will see 2 sets of numbers. If you put the crank key in the A2 slot, you will use the tooth marked A2 to line it up with the dot on the cam gear.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

I see what you all are talking about with key in the R2 slot, why it would be 2degrees retarded, i didnt put the crank sprocket on as it came with the crank sproket installed as in the pic and i went with what it was, makes sense, might get ahold of bob and see what he says, engine specs are a 9:1 CR 347 with 243 heads with forged rods and pistons with plans of 15psi of boost
Old 12-17-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

so i was looking at it more thinking about how i really didnt wanna redo it lol, when i noticed more markings, if you look at were key is on the crank snout its at the 0 mark, the A2 to the left of the key is more visible

so are the bottom markings for aligning it on the crank snout/key and the top markings for lining up with the dot? so you can get a total of 8 degrees of retardation or advancing if you put the crank on A4 and the dot aligned with A4 for 8 degrees of advancement?

edit- i get it now, thanks guys!

Originally Posted by bww3588
What he has is correct for straight up. If you look, you will see 2 sets of numbers. If you put the crank key in the A2 slot, you will use the tooth marked A2 to line it up with the dot on the cam gear.
/\ sorry i must of missed your post first read through, thanks!

Last edited by ToxicWS6; 12-17-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Timing marks lined up correct?