Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some opinions

Alright so I need a few opinions here. My car will be getting turboed in the next few months (courtesy of the Huron Speed group buy ) and I am now trying to decide on what to do motor wise. What I have now is an LS1 that is just a bolt on, stock bottom end, 120k+ mileage motor. She runs lovely but I won't be able to build the bottom end for probably another year (broke *** college student lol). Well a friend of mine has a 1990 240 that he is building into a track car and he wants to purchase an LS because, in his words "SR20s are way too damn over priced for the little bit of power you get." I know the 4.8 and 5.3s have been proving to be boost ****** but I was wondering should I opt for a 5.3 and just sell my motor or just stick with what I have? I'm not asking anyone to make a decision for me I'm just looking for some opinions on what you would do.

Will be running a turbonetics 7875, 50/50 water/meth, turbo cam, etc etc. I only plan to have around 550 rwhp, maybe a little more, but I want to be able to turn it up in the future with a built bottom end. So yea......fire away lol
Old 12-17-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either engine will handle that power so I guess it depends on how much you can sell the stock LS1 for. If you can make a decent profit on the LS1 I would opt for the 5.3. If not, keep the LS1 and the extra cubes.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

I can sell the LS for a decent profit, at least enough to cover a 5.3 with accessories, was just weighing the pros and cons. Although I love the fact of being able to replace parts that go for relatively cheap (for the most part), I love the extra cubes.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

We can get you in a forged piston and rod motor that will work great with your turbo kit and probably for less than you would expect. We built the motor that is now going in the Huron speed car and can really help you out with a new motor for your great turbo kit.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:06 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd stick with the LS1 that's currently in the car if you already know it runs good. If you buy a used 5.3 that you know nothing about are you going to feel more comfortable putting that in your car? There are so many unknowns when you buy a used engine that you could possibly end up needing to do unexpected work to it after you spend all of your time and money just getting it running.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

@thompson When it comes time to build my motor I will keep you in mind. Thanks for the reply.

@ss1 You make a very valid point. I never thought about the condition of the 5.3 I would buy and my ls runs perfectly fine. Think I will just keep mine and run relatively low boost with water/meth to keep it on the safe side. Thanks again for the input all
Old 12-20-2012, 12:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With that turbo... when you go pushing the limit... the fewer cubes the better.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LilJohn
With that turbo... when you go pushing the limit... the fewer cubes the better.
Why is that? Sorry if it is a noob question, just getting as much info as possible
Old 12-20-2012, 01:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too many cubes will push the turbine wheel and housing out of its efficient range and make it choke cause backpressure to skyrocket.

You'll never extract what that compressor can offer if you max out the turbine too early...

At 550-600rwho youll be fine on the 5.7.... you start trying to pull the 900-1000 fwhp that the compressor is capable of... it better be on a 4.8 or a 5.3.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LilJohn
Too many cubes will push the turbine wheel and housing out of its efficient range and make it choke cause backpressure to skyrocket.

You'll never extract what that compressor can offer if you max out the turbine too early...

At 550-600rwho youll be fine on the 5.7.... you start trying to pull the 900-1000 fwhp that the compressor is capable of... it better be on a 4.8 or a 5.3.
Hmm. So basically I would have to go with a different turbo then?
I may have to rethink my original turbo option in that case

Quick Reply: Need some opinions