Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Radar Detector Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 04:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: In the Keebler elves freg'n tree house eating freg'n cookies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Radar Detector Question

I recently purchased a Beltronics 930 Detector and everything seems to be mounted correctly. I have been mainly reading more emergency vehicles (I think) on X-band, K- band, and Ka-band. I have driven in front of and along side police units and my detector won't trigger, I live in California and have read that some of the police in California do not run their radar while patroling around. I don't know if its that they don't have their radar on, such as having an instant-on radar only when they need it in their car, or if they have a new technology radar unit, or if I just have a bad detector. Any hints?

Old 04-15-2004, 09:17 AM
Launching!

I have a radar detector as well here in NJ. A lot of cops don't have the radar on 24/7. I know for a fact a lot of them will just "judge" if your speeding then turn it on.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Guy2626c
I have a radar detector as well here in NJ. A lot of cops don't have the radar on 24/7. I know for a fact a lot of them will just "judge" if your speeding then turn it on.
I have a passport 8500, its top of the line and it doesn't go off everytime i pass a cop. Sometimes it goes nuts, and sometimes it doesn't do anythig. It will only got off (K band which is something in there car) if they have something on (i dont know what exactly triggers it) The Ka-band is the radar.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Police officers have what are called Instant On guns. Basically the second they shoot your car the gun turns on. So its too late for your radar detector unless they got the guy in front of you. Other police uses standard guns that have to already be on.

Its a game of cat and mouse have fun playing.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also, some cops don't even have radar in their cars. My dad is a cop for LA county sherrifs, and he works patrol, and in his area is a traffic cop as well, and my dad doesn't have a radar, but the TC does. Policy says that they have to pace a cetain distance before they can light you up if they don't have radar. So the fact that not all cops have a radar could be why the dector isn't going off.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwickLT1
I have a passport 8500, its top of the line and it doesn't go off everytime i pass a cop. Sometimes it goes nuts, and sometimes it doesn't do anythig. It will only got off (K band which is something in there car) if they have something on (i dont know what exactly triggers it) The Ka-band is the radar.
Don't rest easy just because you don't get a Ka-band signal - not all police use the Ka-band radar. ANY signal (X, K or Ka) could be police radar although X band is pretty much gone and only small police departments on really tight budgets still use it. Of course, X-band is also commonly used for door openers and alarm systems so you can get a lot of false alarms on that band. However, if you pick up K-band from a police car it is NOT just "something in their car" - it's radar and you would be smart to watch your speed.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Don't rest easy just because you don't get a Ka-band signal - not all police use the Ka-band radar. ANY signal (X, K or Ka) could be police radar although X band is pretty much gone and only small police departments on really tight budgets still use it. Of course, X-band is also commonly used for door openers and alarm systems so you can get a lot of false alarms on that band. However, if you pick up K-band from a police car it is NOT just "something in their car" - it's radar and you would be smart to watch your speed.
oh k band is radar also?? someone told me it had to do with sometype of equpiment in there car that set it off. If i see a K band i slow down anyway, but thank you for the heads up. I knew that X was alarms and whatnot. Thanks
Old 04-16-2004, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good Stuff to know.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lots of K-band door openers, older stationary
guns like those roadside speed signs. Ka is
almost surely a cop, not used much if at all
for industrial. X-band you may still find in the
poorer counties / departments, some door
opened & security devices.

Just have to get used to its quirks and once
you've gotten a feel for what a real trap does,
it will become clearer.

"When in doubt, foot comes out".
Old 04-17-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
"When in doubt, foot comes out".
Haha! How 'bout, "If he turns around, foot goes down!"
Old 04-18-2004, 04:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WEASEL
Haha! How 'bout, "If he turns around, foot goes down!"
i would have to open my nitrous if i was on the highway

i have thought to myself many times what i would do if a cop pulled behind me, but i was doing like 70mph, would i slow down?? I think it would depend what happens, like if he was on the other side and had to slow down to turn around and what not, i would prolly dip, but if he was already behind me and i thought it was too late, i would just pull over.