Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifterworks 700r4/4L60e conversion kit, need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shifterworks 700r4/4L60e conversion kit, need help

Need some help here, I have a 1971 camaro with the stock shifter and cable, I am using a 4L60e and a shiftworks 2nd gen Camaro overdrive kit

I have a 2004 4L60e tranny that has the safety neutral switch mounted on the outside of the tranny...which in turns makes the shaft longer.

Because of that it puts a hard bend on the cable because of the positioning

I have a few options:

1. Swap out the long range shaft for a short one, use the bracket currently on the transmission

2. Get the shiftworks 4L60e fix it bracket

http://www.shiftworks.com/4lx.htm

I'm not using the tranmission safety neutral switch, but I left it on anyways. Once removed the longer shaft is immediatly noticable.

The easiest option is to get the 4L60e fix it kit, but I noticed one problem with that.

it doesn't have the provision for the back drive linkage

Also how hard would it be to install a shorter range shaft? Can it be done with the tranny installed and from under the car, does it require removing a lot of parts to get to??

Just trying to find the easist and quickest option here

Thanks in advance
Old 12-18-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok, best I can tell this is called a "shift shaft"....does anyone have a part number?? I may just replace mine with a shorter one and do this right.

I found this guy on ebay selling used ones...is this a good price?? or is there a source with a better price?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260769134501...=p5197.c0.m619
Old 12-18-2012, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure if I am getting what the problem is..are you saying that the cable alignement from the shifter shaft and the cable mount is not aligning, right.. is it a In/out board issue or a up and down alignement issue. ?

Can you removed the safety neutral switch and if I understand.. then move the cable inboard ?

For my Nova.. I was trying to use the stock Column shifter.. I at one point made a bracket that bolts on to the shaft.. Maybe you can try and make one that is simular to the Fix it Kit.. but has the correct bends to align the shifter cable straight.
Just take some mild steel, bend as you need it, drill a hole and file it to the correct hole shape.

BC
Old 12-18-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's a shaft to the mount issues, the shaft is fixed so even if I removed the safety neutral switch the it would still be in the same spot with a huge gap where the switch was.

No biggie, I went ahead and ordered the shorter shaft (for 4L60e w/o safety neutral switch) and I am going to swap it out.....this will put everything in alignment where it's supposed to be.

this somewhat explains it

Old 12-18-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

What about moving the cable body and mounting plate outwards... ? to align it with the shaft location..

But I would try and make a new shaft lever... as I did with my Nova.. It worked for me.. but I had other issue so I completely re-build and engineered the shifter rod, leave and bushings. But that was me.. Cheap..

Good Luck.. keep us posted.

BC
Old 12-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Take the long shaft out, put in shorter shaft in and that would fix the problem. What would you want for the longer shaft ?
Old 12-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1976CamaroGuy
It's a shaft to the mount issues, the shaft is fixed so even if I removed the safety neutral switch the it would still be in the same spot with a huge gap where the switch was.

No biggie, I went ahead and ordered the shorter shaft (for 4L60e w/o safety neutral switch) and I am going to swap it out.....this will put everything in alignment where it's supposed to be.

this somewhat explains it

I had gone through something similiar and its easy enough to swap out while installed in the car.

In short I had a 4L65E from a GTO, I ditched the neutral safety switch and went to a trans shop to order the shift linkage shaft from a 4l60 model that does not have a provision ( additional length ) for the neutral safety switch.

The pictures in my thread show the long one for the neutral safety switch and one from a TH350 that did not have a long enough pilot or pivot point.

Sorry I dont have the image or part number you need but your local trans shop should be able to help as they did for me. Only cost me $10.00

Matt

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-tail-etc.html

Last edited by 2Aspire; 12-19-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bczee
What about moving the cable body and mounting plate outwards... ? to align it with the shaft location..

x2 my thoughts also
Old 12-20-2012, 06:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tta656
x2 my thoughts also
Yep, just move the cable mounting bracket out an inch and call it a day.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'd would just cut the bracket in half and add some metal... or just extend the mounting bracket..

But, again that is just the cheap me and the need to make things work without buying anything. LOL
Old 12-20-2012, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the help guys, I'm still going to swap the rods out. My replacement should be here by saturday.

I don't mind modifying stuff, but keep in mind I have the backdrive linkage to deal with too....moving everything out still puts that about 1/2" to far to the left than it needs to be....if thats out of alignment It might cause issues with the steering column and my safety neutral operation.

I would rather spend less than $30 on the correct part, and function as intended than to start modifying stuff that I don't need to.

I'll post pics of the swap-out of the rods...hopefully it will help someone else in the future
Old 12-21-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, part came in today so I swapped it out...it took longer to drill a drain plug in the transmission pan than swapping this out...it was that easy

After the pan is removed the back of the nut is right there. i just removed the flat spring for easy access, slid the shaft out and popped the new one in.

Here;s the difference in length

finished...the cable is in perfect alignment as intended now and no extra stuff like that safety neutral switch now either

Old 11-20-2014, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Old thread but what's the part number on that shift works kit?
Old 11-21-2014, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Try Googling them. Simple website.

Quick Reply: Shifterworks 700r4/4L60e conversion kit, need help