Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

need info on tach signal wire and autometer tach hookup

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need info on tach signal wire and autometer tach hookup

I am having trouble finding tach signal. Harness and ecu from 02 ss in a rock buggy, ive searched and only could find the tach wire from ecu but my ecu is tucked away and im not taking my entire dash and ecu out to hook up one wire if i dont have to.so my question is what wire on the passenger coil pack plug is the tach wire? I also hqve a autometer sportcomp2 tach and it dont have the standard 4cyl switch option. You hqve to cut looped wires to calibrate for 4cyl mode. But there is a 2 pulse 4cyl mode and a 1pulse 4cyl mode. What pulse do i need?
Old 12-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sdvmopar
I am having trouble finding tach signal. Harness and ecu from 02 ss in a rock buggy, ive searched and only could find the tach wire from ecu but my ecu is tucked away and im not taking my entire dash and ecu out to hook up one wire if i dont have to.so my question is what wire on the passenger coil pack plug is the tach wire? I also hqve a autometer sportcomp2 tach and it dont have the standard 4cyl switch option. You hqve to cut looped wires to calibrate for 4cyl mode. But there is a 2 pulse 4cyl mode and a 1pulse 4cyl mode. What pulse do i need?
Most GM setups use the "pink" wire as the exciter wire.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Teching In

What pulse do i set it to? 1 or 2 for 4cyl?
Old 12-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Launching!

What pulse do i set it to? 1 or 2 for 4cyl?
Try both and see which one works. Usually on the back of the autometer gauge is a 6 or 8 cyl mode.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Teching In

My tach has a blue and brown wire you cut to make it 6cyl 4cyl 1pulse or 4cyl 2pulse. I piggybacked every wire on the coilpack plug and nothing. Only when it was hooked to the green or the red the tach would say its idleing at 100 and when id rev it to at least 4500 it only goes to 350-400 on tach
Old 12-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Launching!

My tach has a blue and brown wire you cut to make it 6cyl 4cyl 1pulse or 4cyl 2pulse. I piggybacked every wire on the coilpack plug and nothing. Only when it was hooked to the green or the red the tach would say its idleing at 100 and when id rev it to at least 4500 it only goes to 350-400 on tach
Well, it looks like you found the correct wire, now it's just a matter of finding the correct setting.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Couldnt get tach to read right so i ended up pulling wire to pcm pin10 white wire and works now. So i guess the coilpack harness wires are not enough for tach to read from.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Couldnt get tach to read right so i ended up pulling wire to pcm pin10 white wire and works now. So i guess the coilpack harness wires are not enough for tach to read from.
Makes sense when you think about it, you were probably only getting half the pulses you needed.

Good job doing it the right way

Quick Reply: need info on tach signal wire and autometer tach hookup