Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

12 bolts have a "usual whine"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 12 bolts have a "usual whine"?

i was discussing my experience with my 12 bolt with a guy looking to buy one soon, he said he may not because he heard they usually whine a bit. i was wondering if this is true, mine does whine it only gets loud between 45-60mph the rest of the time its pretty quiet.

is this usual or am i right in thinking i have a problem with mine (wouldnt doubt it due to experiences i've had with the installer after the rear end was done
Old 12-20-2012, 01:02 PM
12 Second Club

My Moser used to make a alot of noise and whine alot above 45mph when I would push the gas pedal and then when it got to be up around 60mph and it would go away and come back again. Deceleration and coasting it would "hum" but not be so bad that it made my head spin. I changed the fluid and after that most of the whine went away and got quieter. The whine does not really bother me that much. From every thread I have seen regarding 12 bolt rear ends, whine is typical.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Strange 12-bolt I had in my previous Camaro howled like mad from day one. It was never beat on, and I never ran anything stickier than BFG KDW2 street tires. I drove a friend's with another Strange 12-bolt and it was quiet. The gear mesh in mine was total garbage, but I never took the time to fix it before I sold it.

Based on my experience, I can't say that they all whine, but mine sure as hell did. I'd attribute most of it to the monkey that set up the gears.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Launching!

asian lsx- that sounds exactly like what ive got going on (mine's also moser) only whine when on the gas, not coasting or decel
Old 12-20-2012, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dc4bill
asian lsx- that sounds exactly like what ive got going on (mine's also moser) only whine when on the gas, not coasting or decel
Changing the fluid really made a difference for me. Don't get me wrong the thing whines but just not as bad as it was before. Hopefully you can get the same results and it quiets down some.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

same here with my moser 12bolt. it whines at cruising speeds but i dont hear it as much anymore since my exhaust drowns it out lol. those who have the 12 bolt that made it quiet what fluid did you end up using in the rear?
Old 12-26-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

My 12bolt sings the blues too.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:06 AM
Launching!

still havent gotten to change the fluid yet , asian lsx recommended royal purple to me
Old 05-04-2013, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just finished up my car yesterday and got to drive it for the first time , my Moser 12 bolt whines on acceleration and deceleration ... very annoying .. but I've read that before I even bought mine .
Old 05-05-2013, 07:17 AM
TECH Resident

I take it this is a new rear from moser? It all had to do with the first set up. Does it have Richmond gears? They always have a pitch to them. Who set the rear up?
Old 05-06-2013, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Mine howls pretty good, I will be changing gears soon and will report back if it changes any.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Brute-Spe...nformation.htm

The 12 bolt rears that are available for these cars is a step in the right direction. The 12 bolts are well known for being a stout rear that was a factory option back in the day in many performance cars. You can have a 12 bolt in an early Chevelle, Nova, Camaro, etc, and beat the snot out of it and not hurt anything. Put a 12 bolt into a late model f body that uses a torque arm, make a couple 4000 to 5000 rpm launches at the dragstrip, and I can just about guarantee you'll have a lot more gear noise on the way home. The torque arm seems to distort the housing on the 12 bolts, and it seems to happen to all the brands of 12 bolt rears. This does not happen to the 9 inch rears, and there is no price difference between the 12 bolt and nine inch rears. As the horsepower in our engines keep escalating, most people these days go straight to the nine inch rear. The 9-inch has an internal rear-pinion support that also supports the gear end of the pinion to limit gear deflection under high torque loads. This seems to be the major reason why the 9 inch doesn't start whining after high rpm clutch dumps, when the 12 bolt will pick up noise. The 9-inch locates its pinion gear lower on the ring gear to improve tooth contact, better the 12 bolt does. The 9-inch also has a 0.125-inch larger ring-gear diameter and internal pinion support than the 12 bolt. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another big BIG benefit of the nine inch is you can change pinion depth in very short time to dial in the pattern and reduce whine. All you do is drain the rear, remove the torque arm and remove the pinion support and reshim. Try reshimming the 12 bolt in the same manner, total PITA.

I also strongly believe that noisey gears are a result of bad gear setup. I have seen gear patterns that were spot on but still had minor whine and the only way to eliminate it is to make small adjustments which again is very easy to do with a nine inch.

Quick Reply: 12 bolts have a "usual whine"?