General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

F-body driver side rack bolt

Old 12-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-body driver side rack bolt

I'm sure I'm not the 1st to do this but didn't see it in any searches I did. For the drivers side bolt in the rack and pinion on my 2000 ws6 I couldn't get my very large sawzall in there w/o removing my sway bar. So what I did was turn the nut to raise the bolt head an 1/8, put a socket adapter on my drill and spun it while holding a hacksaw blade against it.The nut was tight enough that it didn't spin. Wear a glove because it will try to pull if you don't get it wedged. I hope this helps someone and sorry if its in another thread I didn't see.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

it was tight.....but i got my sawzall in there to cut it off
Old 12-21-2012, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was so easy and fast. I could've bowed the blade or taken stuff off. The hardest part was sorting through all the incorrect info on which racks come on which cars. 00-02 all have the same rack regardless of engines or options. 96-99 have 1 for v6 and 1 for v8, ws6, and upgraded handling v6. Fe2, fe4 and so on make no difference where the rack is concerned. I didn't look into models older than 96 but assume they're the same 2 racks. My 96 and my wife's 98 have the same rack. Different angle than my 00. Its tighter and more responsive than the 00-02. If any of this is incorrect please enlighten me. I know none of this is a big deal, just wanted to offer something to the community that I've gained so much from.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

i did notice the rebuilt GM rack i got a few yrs back went up in price......it TRIPLED

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F-body driver side rack bolt