Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

ARP thread chaser... Can i barrow one PLEASE

Old 12-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARP thread chaser... Can i barrow one PLEASE

hay whats up guys i am switchin up to ARP head bolt and it seems like the thread need to be chased... i took a stock bolt already and grinded one down on two sides and i also took one and cut lines in one to see if that would work. guess what it didnt lol.

So my question is does any one have a thread chaser i could barrow to chase the threads and then ill send it back to you, i dont wanna spend 100 on two thread chasers that im goin to use once and never again. i will pay shipping and a little bit on top if you would like me to.

THANKS AARON
Old 12-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Why does it have to be an ARP thread chaser?? Go to harbor freight and get a tap and die set. If your a DIYer you'll find later uses for the other sizes.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Taps are meant to cut metal and may weaken your threads.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stereojnky
Taps are meant to cut metal and may weaken your threads.
So.....you are saying not to use a tap to clean up the already threaded holes that were made with a tap?
Old 12-28-2012, 10:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jeremyfrank14
So.....you are saying not to use a tap to clean up the already threaded holes that were made with a tap?
That's exactly what he is saying. Taps and thread chasers are different.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bww3588
That's exactly what he is saying. Taps and thread chasers are different.
This is understood. I personally would feel fine using a tap or thread chaser to clean bolt holes up. I have never had a problem using a tap on a head bolt hole on an engine that made 5hp or 2500hp.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jeremyfrank14
This is understood. I personally would feel fine using a tap or thread chaser to clean bolt holes up. I have never had a problem using a tap on a head bolt hole on an engine that made 5hp or 2500hp.
That's fine. But for someone that is not at used to it, it can very easily ruin the threads.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:29 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by lilaaron233333
hay whats up guys i am switchin up to ARP head bolt and it seems like the thread need to be chased... i took a stock bolt already and grinded one down on two sides and i also took one and cut lines in one to see if that would work. guess what it didnt lol.

So my question is does any one have a thread chaser i could barrow to chase the threads and then ill send it back to you, i dont wanna spend 100 on two thread chasers that im goin to use once and never again. i will pay shipping and a little bit on top if you would like me to.

THANKS AARON
If neither of those made the bolt go in easier, the thread chaser won't either. I've run into the same thing whenever I'm bolting on a torque plate and the ARP thread chaser I use didn't help. I've noticed it's more prevalent on seasoned aluminum blocks, so maybe it's related to the material relaxing or something. Either way, if you've used the two methods already, and there's no debris in the threads, then you should be ok. Just be a little more liberal when applying the moly lube.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ARP thread chaser... Can i barrow one PLEASE