Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Does head gasket sealant really work?

Old 12-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does head gasket sealant really work?

A few months ago, I found out I had a blown head gasket. My mechanic did a combination leak test and the Blue liquid changed greenish. I know how pulling an ls1 engine out of a firebird isn't easy and DEFINITELY not cheap especially when the engine is half under the dashboard. I've heard of a few solutions like sealer pills and head gasket sealant. I hear a lot of talk about the head gasket sealant and I really wanna try it but I don't know which one is the best and I'm not sure of what to use. I really wanted to get the gasket changed but money is really tight right now. Does anybody know of any easier repairs I could try because I try because I can't afford to get the gasket changed. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. 2001 firebird formula ls1. Thank you and have a great day
Old 12-21-2012, 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. And it's a pain to get it out when you fix it right
Old 12-21-2012, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used blue devil on a tahoe i had that had such a bad head gasket that occasionally one of the cylinders would fill with soo much coolant id have to pull the spark plug in order to crank the motor. drove the tahoe for a few months and as far as i know its still being driven.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

drop the k-member/trans and pick the car off of it. its like 14 bolts. R&R. lower and done
Old 12-21-2012, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DietCoke
drop the k-member/trans and pick the car off of it. its like 14 bolts. R&R. lower and done
It's actually 10!!! Chris!!

6 for the Kmember 4 for the crossmember!!

Get it right man lol
Old 12-21-2012, 03:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try this, getting the heads off is actually really damn easy and it's no rocket science bud. Give it a whirl! You got the members here that will help out. Ill even subscribe lol. I've got it down to about an hour, hour in a half to get the heads off. No need to drop the motor. Once the intake is off you'll see.

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=2
Old 12-21-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea i wouldnt pull the motor for just one head gasket, people do h/c swaps all the time with the motor inside the car

if you still have the stock exhaust manifolds that will most likely be the hardest part, breaking those bolts lose and hoping none break inside the head

other then that it shouldnt be that bad, just take your time, read up on it little bit, im sure if you run into a little bump we could help you out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does head gasket sealant really work?