Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alright mechanical experts, please give me some input here

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alright mechanical experts, please give me some input here

Okay, so the GM dudes found 3 pistons with the oil ring grooves lined up, not sure about compression rings yet. Other than the obvious oil consumption and lots of crap buildup, what kind of problems would this cause?

If a compression ring was also lined up with the oil rings, that's a given. So let's just assume it's just the oil rings on 3 pistons. Would that alone cause compression problems? Maybe even lifter and valve problems? Is it also possible the 02 sensors sensed that oil burning and readjusted things all the time, making it difficult for us to adjust the A/F to go leaner?

Let's brainstorm on this one as I am just guessing. You have to admit, this may have not been covered at all here, or at least very rarely.

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2004, 09:31 PM
FormerVendor

It is not uncommon for the rings to rotate in the bore when running. I doubt that it created a problem.

The oil consumption is a totally different issue. We all know that the LS1 is an oil burner! To solve most of the problem, the rings need to be updated to the new style rings. The have a little more ring tension and the second ring is a Napier stile with a groove in the back side to help wipe the oil better.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:44 PM
Launching!

I am going to have to disagree. With the oil ring grooves lined up with one another, a good amount of oil will just pass straight though that area directly into the combustion chamber. Plus it allowed a lot of crap to build up on the pistons, and I know either of those can't be good.

My engine wasn't "typical" oil consumption, it was last at 1 1/4 quarts in 1,400 miles. even the GM guy said that was way too much. Plus I had excessive rocker arm and lifter noise, so it had to be causing some kind of problems.

They are putting all of the new style rings in it. And thankfully changing the plugs for me for the price of the plugs...they have compassion!!! lol
Old 04-14-2004, 10:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 9D9LS
It is not uncommon for the rings to rotate in the bore when running. I doubt that it created a problem.
yep.....the rings will move around as the engine is running. If the rings are doing their job, it shouldn't matter all that much if they do line up because it will only be for a short time and then they will rotate some more and nolonger be lined up.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:55 PM
Launching!

So are we saying losing 1 1/4 quarts of oil and loads of crap on top of 3 of the pistons (carbon?) doesn't cause problems? If the same 3 pistons had all that buildup and those were the same three with the ring issue, wouldn't that indicate they aren't "always turning?"

I assume the newer ring design for one thing, makes the rings tighter on the cylinder walls to keep them from turning.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:49 PM
Launching!

I just remembered too....maybe you all can blame higher oil prices on me...maybe my consumption made the prices jump.....
Old 04-15-2004, 12:05 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

The rings rotate on break-in slightly, but once they stop moving they will stay put. The new rings installed properly will slow the oil consumption, but probably not stop it completely, I think you'll still use at least 1 quart between normal oil changes. Oil rings lined up is a small thing, I've seen rings missing on a factory motor, come to think of it... One engine was missing a main bearing, it didn't last long though! If I remember right, the old oil ring expander was rated at 9lbs of tension, and the revised expander ring is at 13lbs of tension, it was in one of my posts from 2 years ago.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:25 AM
Launching!

That's almost 1 1/2 times more tension. That would help! And it makes since that rings would rotate some during break-in as they haven't seated yet. I recall in auto mechanics class years ago they told us to always make sure the gaps were on opposite sides and even with the compression rings, make those gaps on the sides without the oil ring gaps.

And 1 quart between changes would be awesome!! Thought I would never say that. My '90 Grand Am with 290,000 miles still doesn't use oil. And I can imagine a main beearing missing would cause a problem.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:43 AM
FormerVendor

I never stated that the rings lining up was acceptable. However massive oil consumption due to ring alignment is not your problem. Have the rings replaced with the updated Napier style ring, make sure the cylinders are honed properly, break it in with non-synthetic oil for 2000 miles. Also update your PCV system to the ZO6 system.

Joe is correct that the new rings are increased to 13 lbs.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Z06 pvc system? I haven't heard of that. They did speak of a baffle somewhere under the intake, but I have no clue what it is. I'm going to get him to show me what it looks like and where it went.

I did read somewhere else if enough oil was being burned, since oil has a lower octane than fuel (duh) that the computer would constantly try to adjust for that. As soon as it's broken in, I'm going to hit the dyno again with the stock program and see how much this adventure helped.