LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 swap starts and dies. power to control side of injector

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt1 swap starts and dies. power to control side of injector

here is a rundown of everything i have checked. i did not wire the car up, im just trying to hunt down the problem for them.
i found that there is a little bit of voltage coming from the control side of the injector, .021 volts where the other has 12v. i swapped out the computer with another computer reflashed it with the same tune and it does the same thing.

they have replaced coil, ignition module, opti, map, tps, iacc

i have checked the power and grounds and all seem to be right.

this is a 94/95 caprice 4.3 l99 engine.

it does not have a maf on it but is tuned for it( shouldnt cause it not to stay running when i give it gas)

sometimes when it does stay running it missfires until it finally smooths out and runs fine... im lost with it
Old 12-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Restricted User

doesnt seem to have vats, but could something with the nuetral safety cause this. what would cause injectors to not always fire? and have voltage to the control side
Old 12-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Launching!

the PCM pulses the injectors by activating and deactivating the ground. So I would check the grounds first
Old 12-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Weird if it runs from time to time....

There should be two power feeds in the harness for even and odd bank injectors. Is it one bank that is having issues? In the past when I do swap harnesses I tie the injector powers into one line and fuse it. Maybe there is abad connection in the power feeds?
Old 12-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Radcannon
Weird if it runs from time to time....

There should be two power feeds in the harness for even and odd bank injectors. Is it one bank that is having issues? In the past when I do swap harnesses I tie the injector powers into one line and fuse it. Maybe there is abad connection in the power feeds?
It is very strange but it has 12v to all of the injectors, it's the ground side that is the problem. I'm not sure where to go from here. Is it possible that the injectors are shorted somehow?
Old 12-24-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

check ECM2 fuse, that was my problem???
it would run with throttle open but no idle???
Old 12-25-2012, 02:27 AM
Restricted User

this is a swap into a 55 chevy so there isnt any of the factory fuses. but giving it throttle wont make it stay running. the injectors just arnt firing, whatever is causin them not to pulse is the problem. seems like a ground problem to me but they are all good at the computer.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:09 AM
Teching In

Injectors get power the following method:
Black wire is battery power and controlled by a relay, under normal application, yours may be different, hopefully an inline fuse.
The other injector wire goes to the ECM and is pulsed by the ECM placing a LOW onto it - this wire is not placed to ground and generally a 0.5 volts. You have to use a noid light or a high impedance test light - no filament test lights to check the pulsing.
Another item to check is injector resistance, make sure the injector coils read the ohmic value. If one is higher/lower, it upsets the apple cart.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Restricted User

Ok what ohms should the injectors be at?
Old 12-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Launching!

+1. Might want to go to orileys and rent a NOID light set.

ohms measures resistance to the ground, so id say anything over 0.2 is too high. But check to make sure they are all similar in resistance.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:57 PM
Restricted User

i have noid lights, they will light them up when they are working right, but when they are not working properly they stop lighting up. they are showing me anywere from 11.7 to 11.0 ohms. this is by putting one test lead on each of the injector prongs.
thanks for all of your help guys. please let me know if this is normal
Old 01-06-2013, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely not your problem, but you may want to verify VATS is completely tuned out. Apparently there is "Normal VATS" and "Corvette VATS"

When I swapped a different year LT1 engine, harness, and PCM into my Trans Am I had a problem where the car would fire up, run for about 3 seconds then die due to the injector pulse stopping.

Turned out for some reason simply deactivating "Normal VATS" did not eliminate the VATS, and in my application both Normal and Corvetter VATS needed turned off for my injector pulse to not get cut off about 3 seconds after startup.

The injectors never pulsed for longer than 3 seconds until I had the mail order tuner tune out the corvette VATS though. Since in your scenario it is running intermittently this might now be your problem, but it wouldn't hurt to check.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:32 AM
Restricted User

ill check again sense i havnt messed with it for awhile. i have ion soltan of mad tuner look over the tune for me and he said there wasnt any vats turned on and i looked thru it and also didnt see anything that looked odd. all i seen for vats was the checked boxs in tunercats.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:24 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those "checked VATS boxes" should not be checked. Sounds like VATS is still on.
The Speed Density box is checked?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

ignition switch, pigtail probably burnt

Quick Reply: lt1 swap starts and dies. power to control side of injector