Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LM7 into 80 Malibu Wagon help

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LM7 into 80 Malibu Wagon help

Ok I have been searching and am just getting even more confused. I have a very tight budget and need to do this as cheap as possible. My tired 350 is going to pop soon.

Here is my set up
04 LM7 107k
Garret gt 35r with 62 hotside
200-4R 2200 stall
Aeromotive 340 pump
AEM standalone
AEM3.5 bar map
AEM ITS

Ok I know I need an LM7 flexplate, but will my stall bolt to that and where do I get a crank spacer?

I get all kinds of anwers for my intake selection. Some say stick with the truck intake then I see LS6 intake. What stock intake is good with boost?

I also see I can use LSx something springs for 80 bucks, but is the LS6 cam or other better for boost than the stock 5.3 cam.

I want to run an E85 mixture, so will 60lbs injectors be fine?

I see conflicting numbers on what the stock block can hold. I want to strengthen up the block cheaply like using ARP head studs and... To make the stock bottom end stronger to hold as much boost as it can handle.

Sorry for all the ?s I am just not finding definitive anwsers.

Last edited by Mystery_man; 12-24-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

Most people suggest the LS6 cam and springs for a budget turbo engine.

Truck intake should be fine. You'll be blowing on it, no need to spend 3-400 on an LS6 intake.

Cheap upgrades would be rod bolts, head studs, nice gaskets, and a good tune. Porting the throttle body (if you use a cable style) might be worth the hour or two it takes to do. Depending on what power you're looking for, I wouldn't go too overboard with the money. 5.3s are cheap to replace if you blow it up.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply. I will start looking for those items after I go pick up the motor.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

There is tons off info that your looking for in the forced induction section. Although I would like to know what suggestions are given to you, cause I will be doing something similar.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Teching In

I was using google and doing a lot of searching and really didnt find what I wanted or confused me more.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:31 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mystery man, Im new to these motors as well. I was a ford guy 100%

all this stuff thats swaps over and can be used is confusing as heck. I've just been bookmarking stuff as i run across it so i dont forget.

As far as the intake. If the truck will fit under the hood run it. If you want it to look nicer get the ls6.

Good luck
Old 12-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sleeperls
Mystery man, Im new to these motors as well. I was a ford guy 100%

all this stuff thats swaps over and can be used is confusing as heck. I've just been bookmarking stuff as i run across it so i dont forget.

As far as the intake. If the truck will fit under the hood run it. If you want it to look nicer get the ls6.

Good luck
I will have to cut on the hood to make it fit most likely, but ether way I'm going to use it because of the flow. Later on I will get an aftermarket one.

Where can I get a bigger drive by wire TB for the truck mani? I plan on getting a pedal set and harness for this TB.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you can afford a ls6, run a ls1 for a while and sell it for what you paid. Id do this over cutting a hole in the hood imho.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sleeperls
If you can afford a ls6, run a ls1 for a while and sell it for what you paid. Id do this over cutting a hole in the hood imho.
It already was cut for the carb air filter so I just have to open it up some more.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:24 PM
8 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

gt35 is gonna make about 5 psi tops on that motor fyi.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Teching In

How so?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:47 AM
8 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

its waaaayyyy too small. even two of them wouldnt be enough. itll make power just plan on going way bigger if you want anything over 500 horse.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

pics!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I always loved these wagons.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:19 PM
Teching In

I don't have a computer anymore and windows phone isn't good at adding pictures. I will see if I can post some.

So far the build has been still moving, but slowly. Can't seem to get all the parts for cheap enough. I got a ford 9in posi 4:11 gears, so got the rear end planed out. Just need to get everything else figured out.

With TBI I can't remember much and could use the help. I am just doing na for now because of my engine quality atm. Afraid to drive the damn thing.

I want to port my stock heads and use arp head studs. Stock rebuild the motor also for good measure. I bought this thing all dismantled and don't have much of an idea where most of the sensors go. Just plain frustrated atm.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:26 PM
Teching In

I know this isn't about the swap, but here is some of the work I did.

Well finally got something done this weekend. I have been cleaning the **** out of this car. Trying to get it ready, so that I don't have to worry about everything being greasy for the swap. I actually took pictures this time. lol

This is what I got done on Friday after a couple hours of scrubbing everything down. Car was very dirty still from the previous owner and the ride from Colorado to Ohio.

The bay

There were lots of bugs and paint splatter from a friend spraying his interior with a sound deadener like a maniac. Came out ok for the time being. I can't wait till I get the top repainted.

Back wheel after a little love.

Front wheel after a little love. I couldn't stand how bad they where. They were almost black from the road grime and brake dust.

These pictures are from today.

I plan on doing some touching up everything while I have the wheel off. I will get the wire wheel out and then paint it flat black to hide road grime. This isn't a show car just may daily driver with some go.

Here is a pic of the left side 99 2wd blazer brakes that I installed in Colorado. I think I may just replace these pads just so I can get something that doesn't throw so much dust. May use the caliper paint in silver or red. Don't know yet on that.

This is the first time I have ever tried to repair and polish wheels. It is taking me much longer than I thought. If anyone has some pointers please speak up. Lots of work in this one wheel on Friday, but this is what I started with today.

These road rash marks that the previous owner left me are a pain to get out. They are slowly sanding out.

Before

Half hour later

Finished with just that one area.

I wanted to get a coat of paint on the back side to see what the slots and back would look like flat black. I like the way it turned out and will be doing this for all of the wheels.

Before

After

Small difference, but I still like it better for ease of cleaning.

Not much progress, but with a newborn I don't have much time for the wagon. I am still looking for the last bit of parts, so I can put the rear end in. Some are more costly then I thought they would be. Also have to replace the gear box now that it is going out. I think it is time to say bye bye to powersteering and get an S10 manual gear box. Good exercise too. lol

Oh and now that I have the option to use a truck pattern for the rear I will be using the wheels that sparked this adventure.

Moto metal skull wheels 18x9 -12 offset It gives me close to the 4.5 in back spacing, so may have to use small spacers but will see.

I was also looking at fabrics for the interior and will be using skulls for the head liner, black for the pillars, and vinyl black paint for the other lower portions and dash.

This is the headliner fabric I may use.

http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/1904397

I am going to goto a junkyard soon to see if I can find the last bit of parts that I need. Hopefully here soon I can get started on this motor rebuild, so I can put this LM7 where it belongs.

Quick Reply: LM7 into 80 Malibu Wagon help