General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Late model Trans Am squeaks on passenger front side

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Late model Trans Am squeaks on passenger front side

The car squeaks on the passenger side, only when the wheel is pointed so the car is going straight. when I turn the wheel slightly it squeaks very loudly, and when it goes over bumps only when straight. Car has plenty of power steering fluid. Does anyone know what this could be caused by?
Old 12-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

The front end has to be checked by someone who knows what they are doing. No one on here is going to able to tell you where the squeak is because we are not there. Just being completely honest. There are MANY things that can cause a squeak.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Jack the front end up and try to move the wheel by hand. Moving it left and right will check the tie rod ends, and in and out from the 12 and 6 position will check ball joints. I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and suspect a wheel bearing. But sometimes a ball joint will cause a squeaking on turns.

If it's not the wheel bearing, ball joints or tie rod ends, it may be the lower A-Arm bushings or the strut bearing/bushing.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
Jack the front end up and try to move the wheel by hand. Moving it left and right will check the tie rod ends, and in and out from the 12 and 6 position will check ball joints. I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and suspect a wheel bearing. But sometimes a ball joint will cause a squeaking on turns.

If it's not the wheel bearing, ball joints or tie rod ends, it may be the lower A-Arm bushings or the strut bearing/bushing.
A bad tie rod is not going to cause a squeak over bumps. If a tie rod was making noise you would have a squeak when turning the wheel from lack of grease in the joint. Not when driving straight like he is saying while going over a bump. A bad wheel bearing is not going to squeak. They make a horrible grinding roaring sounds that increases with speed. Hes just going to have to take it to a shop and have it checked. Even when I get cars in my shop its hard to find noises and the source sometimes and I do this for a living.

Last edited by Phil424; 12-25-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Phil424
A bad tie rod is not going to cause a squeak over bumps. If a tie rod was making noise you would have a squeak when turning the wheel from lack of grease in the joint. Not when driving straight like he is saying while going over a bump. A bad wheel bearing is not going to squeak. They make a horrible grinding roaring sounds that increases with speed. Hes just going to have to take it to a shop and have it checked. Even when I get cars in my shop its hard to find noises and the source sometimes and I do this for a living.
Well congrats dude.. I'm a tech also... I was just walking OP through a basic front end check.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
Well congrats dude.. I'm a tech also... I was just walking OP through a basic front end check.
Yeah I know but as I'm sure you know, finding a noise or squeak is a lot harder then just checking for loose parts. This guy is in-experienced and to find a noise like he is talking about it not going to be easy for him, and to avoid him just changing out parts I think it would be in his best interest to just go to a shop.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Veteran

^ Just humoring him. And some people enjoy trying to find a cause of a problem, so we could give him a starting point.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Thanks bayerZ28, and phyl424 I actually do have quiet a bit of experience with suspension, I just couldn't figure this one out

Last edited by Anderson0741; 12-25-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Forgot to post, I did find it, the tie rod just needed to be greased

Quick Reply: Late model Trans Am squeaks on passenger front side