Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Modding Plans advice for 2013

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modding Plans advice for 2013

Hey guys hope everyone is having a great christmas. I have some ideas to run by you guys. So this next year i have some plans. I have 2 routes i want to go. One is either upgrading my clutch, rear end, and driveshaft. Or should i keep those stock and start on the motor?.... heads, cam, S/C. I am not quite sure which i should work on first. Also if you guys suggest going the motor modding route, while im in there should i go ahead and replace lifters and other internals. I have a 86k 2002 M6. In the next couple of months im getting some exhaust work redone, and putting a cutout at the end of the Ipipe. The things i were looking at are 9"rear, carbon fiber driveshaft, and sintered iron clutch. Are those things worth the cash for down the road modded ls1, or are my eyes to big for what i actually need. As off right now i am not planning on pushing more than 500, later down the road most definetly will be increasing. I consider my car a dd right now altough i dont drive it like one.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

People will say start with the suspension...

Power means nothing if you cant plant it on the ground
Old 12-25-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jadedbird
People will say start with the suspension...

Power means nothing if you cant plant it on the ground
Sorry i forgot to add that in there suspension is fully built, koni yellows, hotchkis....etc ive got a guy installing sfc's in a month. Also im looking for it to be a street and track usable setup, if that helps
Old 12-25-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Jadebird^ you can start with suspension upgrades. Alot of people do things in different order. Some start off with their motor build, transmission upgrades, and suspension. Some do it vise versa. Do you already have parts to start off with? Sometimes if you already started something might as well finish it off depending on what it is or what your budget is.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
I agree with Jadebird^ you can start with suspension upgrades. Alot of people do things in different order. Some start off with their motor build, transmission upgrades, and suspension. Some do it vise versa. Do you already have parts to start off with? Sometimes if you already started something might as well finish it off depending on what it is or what your budget is.
Nope i havent started buying parts yet i wanted to wait and get a nice little plan together which is something i have t done with my previous cars. Id like to start the trans build first but maybe i can get away with starting some of the motor first.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:08 AM
Teching In

Im oppsite, you already have some suspension work go motor and have fun now...The stock stuff will be fine for a while and will handle your 500 hp goal
Old 12-27-2012, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I mean you suspension will hold meanwhile, I was just giving my advise input. I guess just start off by working on your motor
Old 12-27-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
I mean you suspension will hold meanwhile, I was just giving my advise input. I guess just start off by working on your motor
Ok thanks guys i was gettin anxious haha. Sweet ill start workin on the fun things then.

Quick Reply: Modding Plans advice for 2013