Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Weird rear end noise from wheels?

Old 12-26-2012, 12:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird rear end noise from wheels?

For the past year I have always heard this rather annoying sound from the rear end when driving. It sounds almost like driving over gravel from inside the car. And its mostly noticeable when just cruising and not putting a lot of throttle down. I put the car up on jacks and spun the back tires, both sides make this same sound... Anyone had this issue? I REALLY hope its not major differential issues ugh...

Old 12-26-2012, 01:09 AM
On The Tree

kind of sounds like the axle bearings. is this the stock rear end in it and how many miles? notice any grease or rear end fluid on the backing plates, brakes, or inside wheel?
Old 12-26-2012, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

Havent noticed any fluid in any of those locations thus far.

stock rear end, 2000 TA. bout 135k miles.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:28 AM
On The Tree

i would start by seeing if it has something to do with the parking brakes or disc brakes first by removing the rotors if you cant find anything then try to see if you can have any play in the axles by moving them up and down if you do its prob the bearings and also remove the pan to see if there is any metal shavings or metallic looking fluid.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by backdraft408
i would start by seeing if it has something to do with the parking brakes or disc brakes first by removing the rotors if you cant find anything then try to see if you can have any play in the axles by moving them up and down if you do its prob the bearings and also remove the pan to see if there is any metal shavings or metallic looking fluid.
I shall look into this further over the weekend. Thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird rear end noise from wheels?