Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Installed new Head unit, alarm and lights/dash issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed new Head unit, alarm and lights/dash issue

Hey all, I decided to install a new Kenwood x496 headunit into my trans am which has the stock monsoon unit. Everything installed fine and the head unit worked great for about 10 minutes before shutting off.

I then tried to start the car but instead all my interior lights began to turn on/off, the alarm began chirping and my guages were jumping up and down. Even with the key out of the ignition, the dash and guage lights were still on. When I turn the key to the accessory position I was hearing clicking on/off coming from the rear of the car, I was figuring it to be the trunk release but unsure how that plays in.

From there I removed the new head unit, plugged the Monsoon back in and had the same problem. I am now letting the car sit with the battery disconnected and will try again later. Also should be noted this is the first time the car has been started (attempted to at least) for about 2 months. I do not think it is a battery issue, but I guess it is possible.

Also, had a question about the Monsoon head unit. I had a third plug that was plugged into the head unit (besides the antenna and main harness), is this for the cd changer, even though my car did not come with a changer?

Edit:

After leaving battery unplugged for a good 15 minutes, the lights and dash seem to be normal as they do not stay on with the key out of the ignition. However, I still cannot start the car. When trying to start the lights seem to flicker and a clicking is heard. Car only has ~50k miles and I do not think it is an issue with the starter as the last time it was driven it started fine.

Thank you for any and all help.

Last edited by matt224; 12-26-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The extra plug is for the optional external CD changer. The harness is installed in all Monsoon systems even if they don't have the changer.

What does your battery voltage read? Have you checked the battery terminals for corrosion?
Old 12-26-2012, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not have ability to test voltage but the terminals are very clean. I am going to try jump starting it in a bit. Could the issue with the alarm be due to a weak battery? Doesn't the alarm trigger when it detects a voltage drop? Though when the alarm was giving me issues, it would not trigger like it normally did, it would just chirp repeatedly as the lights flickered on and off.

Edit:

Jump starting worked, car is running fine and all lights and alarm issues seem to be gone. Guess it was just very bad timing on my part to start the car up for the first time in a couple months after fooling with the radio. I am assuming all should be ok now, unless my issues seem to point to something else?

Thanks

Last edited by matt224; 12-26-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Installed new Head unit, alarm and lights/dash issue