Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ebay Turbo build?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay Turbo build?????

My friends seem to think I cant build a BOMB of a turbo car totaly using ebay parts. I have a 98Z and it has a turbo 400 trans and are currently having an LS3 built for boost. The problem is I want to use the ebay T4 turbo kit with the stainless headers. Am I waisting my money and time? This car wasnt meant for running numbers as per say just building as a joke to goof off with my buddies HIGH DOLLAR turbo cars. Should I just use the truck manifolds like everyone else or can I get away with the ebay junk??????????
Old 12-27-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get away with it. some people have claimed those kits don't fit to well and there prone to cracking after a few heat cycles due to the low quality stainless they use. But then you have some people who love them. So you won't really know unless you try one for yourself lol. If it was me I would buy a set of $50 truck manifolds, a 2 1/2 mild steel builders kit $150, and build my own. Now a days you can build a kit for little or nothing. Get a bw 475 or 480, and an eBay intercooler. for less than 2k you can put together a kit that will make more power than you can ever use on the street. Specially with a built ls3
Old 12-27-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There was a member here that used the whole ebay turbo kit and his biggest issue was one of the bolt holes didn't line up on the head for the header. That was fixed with a wallow out of the hole and use a bolt with a bigger head. I want to say he was running high to almost mid 10's with it on a stock LS1. With you using an LS3, you might end up making out the turbo pretty quick sinc it it just a T4.

He did a lengthy build thread step by step on it
Old 12-27-2012, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way I'd use the eBay hotside. Use truck manifolds and fab your own hotside. You could give eBay turbos, wastegates, cold piping, intercooler, and bov's a shot. I wouldn't use the crappy stainless piping just for a joke when you can build your own out of mild for less money.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks this helps me out a lot. The plan was to have it running and driving for under $6000 just to see what I could get away with. My buddy has $15000 in an LSX turbo build and I told him I could have just as much fun with a bunch of JUNK LOL!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well goodluck bud! It is possible, but could be a pain in the head making some of the piping to fit properly lol... As jridenour31 mentioned I would also run truck manifolds spending money on cheap parts could cause you more money on the future.

Quick Reply: Ebay Turbo build?????