Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounts and pan selection

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mounts and pan selection

So I would like to get started on my project now that I have my motor and tranny but I have heard so many diffrent setups that I am overwhelmed with options. I will be running a lq9/4l80e combo with a single 76mm in my 71 chevelle. The motor and tranny came out of a hd truck where the turbo was built to run with it. I would like to try and make it all work (with minimal fab work) using the truck turbo setup.
I have done a ton of reasearch on here but would like to hear from some of the guys running a setup like this. What mounts and pans did you use? Do you think there is one that gives good clearance for the tunnel as well as the tie rods? I dont mind notching the crossmember and boxing it if I need to. It seems that the f body pan seems very popular and ive seen it setup very clean. Thanks a bunch in advance and I will get a build thread going so others can benefit from mine the way I have from others.

Last edited by nvmy2000ss; 12-27-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd check the oil pan sticky at the top of this section.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The easiest thing to do is look under your car and see what pan is on the current engine. The f-body/Holley pan is just like the typical sbc/bbc pan. The special pans for the most part are for non gm vehicles that didn't come with an old school sbc ( Mazda, s10, Nissan etc)
Old 12-28-2012, 06:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used a Canton pan with the engine sitting as low in the crossmember as I could get it. The pan does hang just below the crossmember. Others are available or you can raise the engine a bit. I also recommend checking the pan stickies.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tranny tunnel mod may be in ur future with that tranny. It may not be if you move the engine forward more and raise it just enough to clear the tie rods. Oil pan wise, ctsv pan or fbody with notched xmemeber will work for cost savings.

Last edited by LS1 pwrd NOVA; 12-29-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

We sell the CTS-V Pan kit and adjustable motor mounts for this setup. Not sure the f-body pan is going to work for this.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'

Quick Reply: Mounts and pan selection