Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Megasquirt vs Factory ECM/harness

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Megasquirt vs Factory ECM/harness

I'm building a foxbody with a 347 Lsx, pt 88 and a TH400 and I've come to a dilemma in my build with the engine management portion. I'm going to be running Fast 95lb injectors which requires an injector driver and after looking around I've seen multiple guys using Megasquirt/MSD 6ls vs a stock pcm and modified gm harness.

My question is, to those who do use Megasquirt, how user friendly is it? I'm completely new to tuning and would like to learn about it. From what I've researched a lot of guys also recommend using Hp tuners in conjunction with the stock ecm/harness as its extremely user friendly for newbs such as myself. At this point I'm willing to take the time and learn for either setup but I'm more so interested in Megasquirt, its a lot cleaner setup and my car is going to be mainly a drag car, and cruise around on the weekends. Money isn't an object, I just want some others opinions and advice.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will get a ton off opinions on this.
I for one like ms3 its easy to use and for a boosted build with a non electric trans. Ms3 is the way to go
Old 12-27-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From what I see, MegaSquirt users are more apt to share their "tunes" than tuners of the stock GM computer.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Do you like (or want to learn) how to solder and build electronic PC boards and such ? And, in the end you will know how every input/output to the ECU is wired and configured ? You will learn that on the Msquirt. This can either be a lot of frustration and headache for you or a very valuable tool for making the engine run great.

There is no 24hr 1-800 tech line for the Msquirt, but there is a large community of users on the froums that can offer help.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

You can buy preassembled megasquirt board just wire it
Old 12-28-2012, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Would the Holley Dominator work? I pulled my factory reworked harness and etc and threw the holley in. At least from an initial impressions standpoint it seems pretty straightforward.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Would the Holley Dominator work? I pulled my factory reworked harness and etc and threw the holley in. At least from an initial impressions standpoint it seems pretty straightforward.
More $$$ than MS, but from what I see, a good system and you don't have to buy a $500 "tuner suite" program as for a factory ECM...
Old 12-28-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

Factory ecu's have handled 1000hp cars so I see no need to go through all the trouble
Old 12-29-2012, 12:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Another thing to consider is future engine upgrades. The factory ECU's are locked into either a gen III or gen IV type. Basically the type of trigger wheel that is on the crankshaft. One ecu cannot do both types.

So that limits you to pick one or the other style based on your current engine choice. If you want to get a different Gen X motor later it will need to have the same crank wheel you are using now. And possibly you will need another copy of that $500+ tuning software to program the new one.

The Megasquirt can be configured to do either type in software setup.

Quick Reply: Megasquirt vs Factory ECM/harness