Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Carbed or Fuel Injection ? HELP !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:20 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS1 Carbed or Fuel Injection ? HELP !!!!

Hey guys and gals Iam new here and am in need of some help . I bought a long block 5.3L from a friends dad to install into my sons truck .

Now I don't want to spend crazy money on this swap but would like do to it right . The truck has a stright 6 in it now with a 700R4 trans and a 12 bolt posi read that we just added . Also added 20" wheels and a lowering kit , done all the brakes ,lines and all new front end parts .

Now that I got this 5.3 I would like to go back with a F.I. system but I don't like computers and wireing . I am old school and know how to work on carbs and points stuff like that . So I am asking for some info from all of you . I dont want to cause a war as I know that there are die hards on both sides of the fence here . All I want to do is give my son a good running truck that he don't have to call me to come fix his truck .

This is what Iam working with .

Old 12-28-2012, 07:29 PM
E_S
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Injection. Fuel economy, driveability, simplicity (yeah, really), cold/warm/hot starting, emissions and lots of other things.

Installing isn't that hard either - a lot less work than tuning a carb, and you probably already have most of the parts..
Old 12-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by E_S
Injection. Fuel economy, driveability, simplicity (yeah, really), cold/warm/hot starting, emissions and lots of other things.

Installing isn't that hard either - a lot less work than tuning a carb, and you probably already have most of the parts..
What you see is what I got . I know I need a intake but what else ?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You will need a manifold, carb, air cleaner, an MSD ignition box, a set of coil packs and maybe an electric fuel pump depending on what the truck currently has. You won’t need to sump the tank with a carb (but really should with EFI) and can probably adapt the current carb linkage.

The MSD boxes are super nice and a dream to tune. They do use the stock coil packs. Totally plug and play, they come with their own harness.

You can get a new carb manifold and ignition box for under a grand. Used stuff shows up in the for sale section so maybe a good bit cheaper if you get lucky. Carbs run $50 used to $500 for a top end new one. Most guys run a 650 on the 5.3’s.

If you want to go EFI I would strongly suggest dumping the long block and picking up a complete truck motor pull out. You will go broke trying to source all the EFI and accessory stuff piece by piece. Complete pull outs can be had for a few hundred bucks. Coil packs can get pricey.

You might try reading some of the hundred other threads on carbs vs. EFI in the carb forum. No drama that way and you will be getting opinions from guys who have done both.

LS motor run real good on carbs. Properly tuned carbs return the same mpg as EFI and have excellent street manners. They don't do as well in the cold through and they often require you to get gas on your hands from time to time.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 12-29-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

I'm biased, but EFI is the way to go. Once its in, turn the key and go. No tweaking, no fuss.

Whole 5.3 pullouts can be had for less than the carb and MSD box will cost.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Another thing to consider is whether this thing will get modded down the road. With a carb, some jets and tuning and you are good to go. With efi, you will likely want a better intake (ls6 or fast, read $350-1000), bigger injectors ( $150 +) and a good tune ( endless money). The tune issue can be solved with a Holley efi kit but costs $1500. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but if fuel economy isn't top priority and you don't mind the driveability of a carb, the carb will be way cheaper when mods come up
Old 12-28-2012, 10:58 PM
Launching!

I have been looking around a bit and the least amount I can find for a complete is $2000.00 plus shipping . Maybe you guys can steer me in the right direction ?
We live in Utah in the mountains so it gets cold and some times realy cold . It will be his daily driver .
Old 12-28-2012, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

LS motors are Fuel Injected so stay Fuel Injected!
Old 12-28-2012, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What are the plans for th truck. Fuel injection might be a pita at first but in the long run its better.

The truck looks nice so I wouldn't skimp now.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:15 AM
Launching!

The plan for the truck is for my sons daily driver . He has been invovled in all work that we have done on the truck so far . Amd will be a big help in the swap . Just trying to teach him how to use his hands to work with tools . It is funny when he first started he had no idea how to use tools . not getting the socket all the way on a bolt and busting his kunles and now he is a pro with a wrench . At 14 he is doing great and is always buy my side when worktng on the truck.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Take a look at LKQ or go to www.carpart.com and check the prices for complete engines. You should be able to find a complete 5.3 for $500.00 - $750.00. You will still need to modify the wiring, look at www.lt1swaps.com for the guide, and add a fuel return and an electric fuel pump. You might be able to swap in a later truck tank with intank pump.
No matter which way you go I believe that EFI is the better way to go for all around driveability. My 6.0 sees 23 mpg and makes well over 500 hp.
If you look closely at the site I bet you can find someone that will nearly give you a stock truck intake. The dbc tbi is relatively cheap as well.
In any event you will need the following as has been described previously:
Intake
TBI or Carb
PCM or MSD controller
Wiring harness
Coil packs and mounts
Fuel pump
Truck accessory brackets
Exhaust manifolds or headers
And I am sure I am missing something.

All in all you might be better off buying a complete 5.3 with all of the ancillary parts attached.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you just want a reliable cruiser and don't have a lot or upgrades planned for this motor. That, combined with a young driver and Utah mountains i would have to say stick with FI. This is coming from a guy with a carb'd motor.

No planned upgrades and not racing it means you can probably get by with a single, mail order tune. You will need to rework a harness and sump the tank, but once those are done you will be good to go.

A carb will almost certainly be cheaper to get running and regardless of what EFI guys want to believe will get the same MPG and drive as well as EFI in good weather. But it simply will not meter fuel as well when cold. This means more engine wear and might be difficult to start in 10 below weather.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Well it sounds like I need to source a complete motor . I will call around today and see if I can come up with anything .

Thanks Guys !!

Quick Reply: LS1 Carbed or Fuel Injection ? HELP !!!!