Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

rear defroster wont stay on

Old 04-15-2004, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry rear defroster wont stay on

First of the rear defroster sucks. I did a search and found some simular problems but did not gt a good answer to my problem. When I first turn it on it will stay on for about 90 sec and go off. Then I have to wait about 2 min before I can get it to come back on. Once it is back on it turns off after 30 secs. It has been to a dealer and they replaced what they called a "timer". This has become a real annoyance now that I can drive the car more often. Any ideas on how to fix? Some have replaced the factory fuse with a 30 amp fuse but I am not sure this will six the problem.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, you forgot to mention that when that happens the power seats won't work either try adjusting your seat next time this happens. Just replace the fuse, that should do the trick.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the same problem. It is just a fuse on the drivers side panel, or is it under the hood?
Old 04-15-2004, 11:27 AM

Shoot man I'd say you're in luck! Your current situation would warrant a nitrous application to work off that rear defroster. You're in Florida anyways. You're practically considered semi-tropical. My defroster doesn't work because I went with a Form-Tec composite rear shield.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:22 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

this has been documented before. I posted the fix for my car. Go to the fuse panel at the drivers end of the dash. Pull the breaker for the defog/seats out replace with a fuse of the same amps. bye bye problem. I lived with the same problem for a long time. I never tried a different brand breaker, I think the original is Wagner. It overheats the breaker and cuts out. After it cools it works again. I have never blown a fuse since installing it in place of the breaker. defogs works like it is supposed to.

Search this Thread