Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

What can I do to help feed my engine oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Default What can I do to help feed my engine oil?

Hey guys, I lost my LS1 to a spun 6 and 7 rod bearings. I now have a slp ported oil pump and a LS2 engine. I have read people mention on here that there are things you can do to help get the oil up to the pump, but I cannot seam to find what these things are. Can anyone help me out here? WHat mods can be done to help oiling while this engine is out? I plan on shimming the spring .095 or so aswell.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good bearings with proper gap
Old 01-01-2013, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Yup engine is completely new with Calico coated rod bearings and new cleitte 77 mains, crank polished and oil holes chamfered, etc
Old 01-01-2013, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

bout all you can do without going dry sump

maybe a baffle in the oil pan to help capture it in the sump area so it cant slosh around
Old 01-01-2013, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you cannot fix the pan you might want to add an accusump into your system. It will help maintain oil on the bearings when the PU is uncovered.

Kurt
Old 01-03-2013, 05:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GTO pan I presume from the sig picture? I had one of the GTO pans in here and found that the factory ports in the pan to relocate the oil filter in the pan had a bad mismatch from the factory where they were just drilled. The port was restricted down to to where only a 1/4" drill would go through while most all the main galley ports are over 550" diameter.
The before and after pics show where I ported it, just be carefull not to break into the transfer tube mounting holes. You'll see what I mean when you look at it and is why the just drilled factory mis-match is poor.
Seams to be a GTO only issue.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I personaly do not like the SLP pump. I had one, once and ended up ditching it. I like the Meling pumps. It has a cast iron case and can be had for a single timing chain or a double roler both in stock volume and high volume versions. Just my two cents.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Watch those high volume pumps they will suck your pan dry
Old 01-03-2013, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

That is true. Depending on the rpm you plan to run the engine to. Also a high capacity pump usually means you will have to clearance the front cover to make it fit. Not a big deal but expect it if you choose to use one. You can also look into a high capacity oil pan. I normally only use high capacity pumps if I am building a turbo engine to make up for the volume of oil the turbo needs and depending on intended rpm level I will use a high capacity oil pan. I also use high capacity pumps if the engine is built with loose bearing tolorances, normaly only an extreme race build engine. otherwise if you do not want to change to a high capacity pan or do not heave other reasons for one, I would stick with a stock volume pump. The same considerations should be take if thinking of using a high pressure pump.

Again, I have only used one SLP pump, I only use Meiling pumps now for all my builds. I also utilize a two bolt oil pump pickup tube clamp. I bought several when I found them and I do not remember where to get them from but I bet someone here can point you to a sponsor that sells them.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick Carl

GTO pan I presume from the sig picture? I had one of the GTO pans in here and found that the factory ports in the pan to relocate the oil filter in the pan had a bad mismatch from the factory where they were just drilled. The port was restricted down to to where only a 1/4" drill would go through while most all the main galley ports are over 550" diameter.
The before and after pics show where I ported it, just be carefull not to break into the transfer tube mounting holes. You'll see what I mean when you look at it and is why the just drilled factory mis-match is poor.
Seams to be a GTO only issue.
Good info, first time ive seen anything on this issue.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There's an oil pump made by I believe Schumanns that uses a ball bearing for the over pressure relief instead of the piston which is prone to sticking . I imagine it would further reliabilitize You're engine ,,,,,,,,,,,call Websters ,,,,ha ha

Quick Reply: What can I do to help feed my engine oil?