General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Should I trade my WS6 for a GTO? Need advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I trade my WS6 for a GTO? Need advice please.

Here is the dilema. I have a 98 WS6 that I've had for five years now. I have spent quite a bit of money modding this car and I just repainted it so it looks imaculate. Now that I bought a new truck, I never drive the car. When I do drive it, I feel cramped inside and feel like my knees are always touching the steering wheel even with the seat all the way back. I don't think I am any taller, I guess I just didn't realize how small it was until now. The car is in amazing condition BTW. Anyway, my mom has an 06 GTO with 50,XXX miles on it that I have mantained for her and it is also imaculate. It already has the sap front bumper, a shifter, diff cover, and catback exhaust. Well she saw an M3 the other day and wants one so the GTO has to go. She will sell it to me for a great price, but I already have a hefty truck payment and can't justify a second car payment. So if I want this car, I have to sell the trans am. I just don't know if I can sell it, even though I don't drive it much. You could say I am emotionally attached to the car.

So the question is, do I trade up to the GTO and sell my WS6, or just let her sell it and keep my TA? I believe I would drive the GTO more because the car is much more comfortable for me to sit in. But, I am back to an almost stock car and have to start the modding all over again, and someone else will be tearing up my TA which I have preserved so well!

Which is woth more money in 20 years? Which is the better car? What would you do? Any advice is much appreciated.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly, you are the only person that can answer those questions. Eveyone on here will have different opinions but at the end of the day, you are the one that has to live with the decision. Neither car will be worth more in 20 years. Good luck with your decision...
Old 01-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would much rather dd a gto than a f body,but if this is your fun car keep the ta
Old 01-03-2013, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
I would much rather dd a gto than a f body,but if this is your fun car keep the ta
+1

GTO interior/build quality is a lot nicer obviously but if it's not daily driven I can deal with the TA
Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the same thing years ago. I wanted a GTO but my F-body would have to go to get one. I sold my beloved HOSS to a friend and bought a GTO. The GTO was an awesome car (despite what many say about it) and I really enjoyed it but it was missing something my camaro had but couldn't put my finger on it at the time. I had the goat for about 2 years before I had to sell it for financial reasons. My HOSS was my baby and it didnt take long for me to miss it- about 6 months to be exact. The GTO and F-bodies are 2 different cars IMO, the f-body is more of a street bruiser and the GTO is more of a touring car. To make a long story short, i ended buying back my HOSS from my freind who I sold it too. I realy wish I could have had both but my old HOSS camaro had that sentimental value the GTO didn't. Just my .02
Old 01-03-2013, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The GTO definitely sounds more comfortable & you would get a lot more use out of it - But you will be apart from the car you've put so much time into.

Idk, I personally think the GTO is low on looks and the only thing going for it is the interior/comfort compared to a WS6. :L (I'm obviously biased towards the WS6)

In Utah there are PLENTY of GTOs always for sale, nobody ever buys them, but the WS6s & SSs are always selling immediately if that gives you an idea for future value...
(Maybe its just these crazy mormons that live here haha)

(I almost DD my 99 WS6).

Hope you pick the best option
Old 01-03-2013, 11:16 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Worrying about the value in 20 years is probably the worst possibile reason to pick either car. Remember, you have to actually LIVE with your choice for those 20 years, and with the mileage they already have (and will gain over the next 20 years of you using either one), neither will be any kind of top dollar collector's item.

Since you have a daily driver truck, I would pick the car that seems to be the most fun to you. No point in worrying about which is more daily driver friendly when you already have a daily driver. Other people's opinions don't matter when it comes to which is more comfortable, which is subjectively an "upgrade/downgrade", which looks better and which is more fun. All that matters is how YOU feel about owning/driving each.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

f-body, GTO is more of a family car! lol jk
Old 01-03-2013, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You said so yourself your cramped in the ws6, that right there answers your question.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It obviously comes down to individual preference, but if it were me i'd keep the WS6 mainly because I think it looks much sexier than the GTO
Old 01-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Launching!

I have a 98 WS6 and a 02 WS6 and a 00 SS so my vote is for the WS6 but obviously you have to do what is best for you. Personally I have had my 98 for going on 11 years and it has been apart more than it has been together but I will never sell it. I have poured too much time and money into the car that I will never get back and it has alot of sentimental value.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

So let me add one more bit of information here. The only thing that bugs me about the WS6 is the cramp space in the drivers seat which I think was made worse after an LS7 clutch and adjustable master install, bare with me here, I will explain. In order to get the clutch to disengage and grab right, the pedal is much higher than stock which forces my knee/thigh into the steering wheel and gets in the way when turning. The problem is made worse with my steel toe work boots which are thicker than shoes. I think the high clutch pedal, huge boots, and brand new clutch that likes to chatter are what are driving me to hate this car. My first LS7 clutch was great but my second one sucks. So I think the cramp space issue could be remedied with more time and more money, ditch the LS7 and wear shoes when I drive the car.

I'm sure you have all gotten fed up with your cars quirks and annoying problems at some point. I guess I just saw this as an opportunity to push a reset button on my car and get a killer deal on a gto.

From the response I have gotten so far, I think fixing and keeping the WS6 is the way to go. Thanks for helping me from making a mistake.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

just keep the ws6...
Old 01-03-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

I must be missing something here. Your '98 heavily modded T/A isn't going to bring anything close dollar-wise to a nice '06 GTO with just 50,000 miles. That GTO is worth around $17,000 at the very least if in very good condition as you state. If you can actually make this deal equal, it's a no-brainer. Take the GTO and thank your Mom for being the best in the world!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I must be missing something here. Your '98 heavily modded T/A isn't going to bring anything close dollar-wise to a nice '06 GTO with just 50,000 miles. That GTO is worth around $17,000 at the very least if in very good condition as you state. If you can actually make this deal equal, it's a no-brainer. Take the GTO and thank your Mom for being the best in the world!
From a financial perspective, I would agree. However, value doesn't really matter when it comes to preferece for a weekend toy. Who cares if your new toy is worth more than your old toy, if it turns out that you liked the old toy better and end up missing it?

On the other hand, if mom is willing to sell the GTO to you for this cheap just to get rid of it, then just buy it and resell it. You could then split the profit with her, and make some money for your time. Or just keep the profit if mom is loaded.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

To clarify about the money, my car should bring $8-$10K. The GTO is worth $16-$17K. She will sell it to me for between $12-$14K, whatever the dealer offers in trade. I can come up with the cash for the difference even if its as much as $6K...worst case scenario. I just don't want to pull out a loan for $14,000 and have nearly $750/month in car payments between my truck and the car as well as insuring all of these dang cars. Just isn't financially smart.

It seems like a no brainer at first but it's really turning out to be a quite difficult decision.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by superbee_68
To clarify about the money, my car should bring $8-$10K. The GTO is worth $16-$17K. She will sell it to me for between $12-$14K, whatever the dealer offers in trade. I can come up with the cash for the difference even if its as much as $6K...worst case scenario. I just don't want to pull out a loan for $14,000 and have nearly $750/month in car payments between my truck and the car as well as insuring all of these dang cars. Just isn't financially smart.

It seems like a no brainer at first but it's really turning out to be a quite difficult decision.
....and one only you can make. No one else is in your shoes.
I sure wouldn't let that GTO go though even if you keep the T/A. I'm talking purely financial now. Keep it awhile and then decide after a month or two. You know the history of the GTO and everything about it. That doesn't happen very often when it comes to used cars. Best of luck!!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
From a financial perspective, I would agree. However, value doesn't really matter when it comes to preferece for a weekend toy. Who cares if your new toy is worth more than your old toy, if it turns out that you liked the old toy better and end up missing it?

On the other hand, if mom is willing to sell the GTO to you for this cheap just to get rid of it, then just buy it and resell it. You could then split the profit with her, and make some money for your time. Or just keep the profit if mom is loaded.
I agree completely. You are one of the few people that probably remembers me having an air-cooled 911 as my weekend toy. My SS is worth $20,000 less and guess which one I enjoy more?? Yup, the SS. A very personal decison for me as well as for the OP now. I just would have trouble passing up a sweet GTO which the OP has complete knowledge about, and getting it for an unreal price.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:28 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I agree completely. You are one of the few people that probably remembers me having an air-cooled 911 as my weekend toy. My SS is worth $20,000 less and guess which one I enjoy more?? Yup, the SS. A very personal decison for me as well as for the OP now. I just would have trouble passing up a sweet GTO which the OP has complete knowledge about, and getting it for an unreal price.
Yes sir, I remember, I think it was a '95 and it was green (or at least the text in your signature for it was green I think).

I sure wouldn't let that GTO go though even if you keep the T/A. I'm talking purely financial now.
Also agreed. If mom is willing to sell it for trade in price, I'd jump all over that as an opportunity to make a quick profit by flipping it. But, that's assuming you have access to enough cash to make the purchase. Getting a loan for a car that you are intending to flip would be something of a hassle, and would discourage me unless the price was insanely cheap.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:53 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by superbee_68
First of all, let me say that you have one super cool mom! That aside, I don't know why the decision is so difficult. You get to drive them both. Which one do you like better?

I've thought about selling one of my f-bodies and getting a GTO. But when I've driven the GTOs, apart from the better seats and greater solidity, I don't feel they give me anything above what I have. I like my Formulas better. So I don't own a GTO.

Quick Reply: Should I trade my WS6 for a GTO? Need advice please.