Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help mating 5.3LS to AOD Ford trans in Fox body.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help mating 5.3LS to AOD Ford trans in Fox body.

I am deeply thinking of a 5.3 LS swap on my 93 hatch for a winter project being the 5.3 LS motor is lightyears ahead of my Powerdyne supercharged 5.0 in it currently.

BRP makes some pricey little motor mounts/crossmember to keep the stock K member but I wonder if it isnt just worth the cash for a LS k member at this point being that the BRP mounts are 499$ anyway.

The car already has a built 8.8 and built AOD transmission. My biggest problem is getting an LS motor to mate with an AOD Ford transmission. I would hate to have to build another trans like a TH 400 and lose my overdrive as well as needing a new crossmember and driveshaft also being that this AOD in particular works really well.

I know I need a custom converter which is better than buying a new trans and I have seen the Kenny Brown AOD Ford transmissions for use in LS1 cars my question is how can I get a 5.3 LS motor in my Hatch and mate it with my existing built AOD.

As for my guages they suck terribly in stock form in that car as it is I will probably just use all autometers and figure out some kind of a speedometer. Maybe just a stand alone digital speedo. A compass needle for a speedo would be more accurate than the stock Ford speedo.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

I am very curious to see how you make this work. I know quicktime makes a LS bellhousing to mate to a ford T5 but I have no idea on the AOD.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have seen this bellhousing also. I am not sure if it will work with an AOD though. My best bet might be to just call Kenny Brown for a LS1 bellhousing/converter without the rest of the trans.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:34 PM
P22
Teching In

i am in the process right now of doing a lq9 6.0l with a aod in a fox. I just got my core today and going to freddy brown tomorrow to discuss the rest. It can be done and freddy brown builds some awesome aod trannys plus he has a aod in his chevelle.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've put Chevy engines in Ford vehicles just to have a 700R-4 instead of the AOD. I know I keep breaking 700R-4s, but the way AODs drive is annoying when they aren't being frustrating. Sell the AOD.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CK performance use to have a hybrid they made for a gm engine to bolt to an AOD, so I would talk to Chris.

http://ckperformance.com/index.html

You can see the old section on their front page,but the link is broken.I think he use to do this 6 or 7 years ago.

but with the 4l80e having so many cheap contollers now,and a good transbrake available, I don't see as many people looking to do what you want to do.

Quick Reply: Need help mating 5.3LS to AOD Ford trans in Fox body.