Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rebuilt 4l60e, 0 miles!, WONT SHIFT PAST 2ND! WTF!

Old 01-05-2013, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rebuilt 4l60e, 0 miles!, WONT SHIFT PAST 2ND! WTF!

Ok guys i have rebuilt quite a few of these but this one has me frustrated! normally its just the sunshell and or the clutches......

On this trans it lost the 3/4 clutch pack..... so i rebuilt it with new clutches and a zpack for the 3-4, beast sunshell, yank TT2600, trans cooler..... a few very mild upgrades....

Well i got the trans into the truck and topped off fluids..... on the lift i went to put it through the gears so i could double check the fluid level and noticed it engages 1st fine, 2nd fine, but will rev all day in second and shift to 3rd or 4th!

It acts like its not even trying to shift into 3rd, i know the clutches are good (NEW) and the 3-4 clearance was .040-045... EVERYTHING WAS ALSO PRESSURE CHECKED WITH AIR TO ENSURE PROPER OPERATION! ENDPLAY was .017....

I am going to check the 3rd accumulator check ball.... here in a minute (since i dont remember checking it during rebuild )

Could me putting the 3-4 clutch springs in the cluch pack be an issue somehow?

Valvbody issue?

Soleniod issue?

Im just trying to get some more ideas befor i pull the trans out again (4x4 silverado, PITA)

Thanks for any help/suggestions!
Old 01-05-2013, 03:01 PM

Received 385 Likes on 294 Posts

As a wild guess, I would look for a major servo assembly error.
I don't know if a missing check ball in the valve body could cause this.

If you are referring to the "3-4 clutch load release springs" (the 5x dual-springs on the side), then no way does that matter as they only exert a few pounds of extra force anyway. Plus if you air checked, they you should know it works.

Did you only air check the input drum assembly by itself, or also installed in the pump?
If the servo is OK, my next guess is a torn teflon ring on the input shaft. Obviously the trans has to be removed to check that.

Any other mods - Transgo HD2 kit? Sonnax servo release check valve? Sonnax HD 2-3 shift valve? Anything else?

PM me if you would like my cell phone number to call. I'm not experienced as the trans builder here, but I built several this year including one just three weeks ago, know all the aftermarket parts, know the hydraulic circuits pretty well and have helped other members via phone.
The following users liked this post:
Michael Barton (04-19-2020)
Old 01-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

did you take the valve body apart to clean it? what year is this trans?

What modifications were done?

When you air checked the 3-4 clutch did you have the helper springs installed?

Last edited by Jays_SSZ28; 01-05-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Only mods are the ones .... Whole valve body not disassembled but checked to make valves moved freely. 3-4 was assembled with springs and was ok so spings cant be issue i guess lol..... this is frustrating....

Just checked 3rd accumlator ball and moves freely. Valve body seems ok.

Teflon ring is possible i guess.....

Any other ideas?

Thanks guys
Old 01-05-2013, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

something else i forgot to mention!

In HPtuners I command 3rd gear and it still wont go into 3rd just stays in second!

It works like normal 1 to 2 but never attempts to shift to 3rd just takes second all the way to the limmiter.... doesnt act like clutches are burnt or anything because it doesnt go to free revs.... just acts like its not applying fluid there
Old 01-05-2013, 05:06 PM

So, you are saying it stays in 2nd. If that is the case then it might not be a mechanical problem but rather an electrical one. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if there were a major mechanical problem (or fluid leak) with the 3-4 clutch, the trans will try to shift into 3rd but will then act like it is in neutral and easily rev to redline with little forward motion.

First make sure the shift linkage is installed correctly and that [D4] is not actually [D2].
As I understand it your symptoms sound like you are in [D2]. Right?

Next check Shift Solenoid "B" (also called 2-3 shift solenoid). If it is shorted to ground or stuck open, the trans will never shift into 3 or 4.
Hopefully this is the problem.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

sounds like a valve body issue to me. Check the 3-2 solenoid, 3-2 valve, 2-3 shift valve, shift solenoids (B specifically) Make sure you used the correct valve body gaskets, most kits come with multiple gaskets be sure you used the correct year gaskets and make sure the "V/B" and "C" marked gaskets are in the correct locations. Make sure that the seals are all on the pressure manifold on the bottom of the vb, etc I am willing to bet it is something silly.. Usually is.. did you take any valves on the v/b out or apart? Its really easy to get a valve put in wrong... been there..
Old 01-05-2013, 05:11 PM

carsonauto: looks like we were writing similar posts at the same time.
Hopefully just a bad solenoid or a pinched wire.
Ted.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Easiest test to rule out electrical or mechanical---unplug the big wire harness from the trans, this will put it in 3rd with max line pressure. Unplug it put it in drive. Don't do these tests with the wheels off the ground, sometimes, especially on a new build the wheels will turn in neutral so it's not accurate IMO.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Hey guys i got it fixed! I swapped the harness and solenoids from another trans i had in the shop and everything worked great! ..... (more than likely just the 3-2 soleniod/B)

Thanks for all the help!
Old 04-19-2020, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 seirra 1500 4l60e asking for help

Originally Posted by mrvedit
As a wild guess, I would look for a major servo assembly error.
I don't know if a missing check ball in the valve body could cause this.

If you are referring to the "3-4 clutch load release springs" (the 5x dual-springs on the side), then no way does that matter as they only exert a few pounds of extra force anyway. Plus if you air checked, they you should know it works.

Did you only air check the input drum assembly by itself, or also installed in the pump?
If the servo is OK, my next guess is a torn teflon ring on the input shaft. Obviously the trans has to be removed to check that.

Any other mods - Transgo HD2 kit? Sonnax servo release check valve? Sonnax HD 2-3 shift valve? Anything else?

PM me if you would like my cell phone number to call. I'm not experienced as the trans builder here, but I built several this year including one just three weeks ago, know all the aftermarket parts, know the hydraulic circuits pretty well and have helped other members via phone.

I'm just reading and I have some questions that is like to ask a serious tranny tech. If you're interested in answering them ofcourse.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:54 AM

Thank you for joining ls1tech.
Forums frown on newbies posting on very old threads because members who posted earlier now get notifications about a "long dead thread". Therefore I'm going to close this thread.
However, you are very welcome to start a new thread and ask your questions there.

BTW - I know you have to post on an existing thread before you can start your own. While too late now, it would have been to post even a trivial comment on a current thread because members are getting notifications about that thread anyway. Not your fault - that should have been suggested when you signed up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rebuilt 4l60e, 0 miles!, WONT SHIFT PAST 2ND! WTF!