Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

engine builders help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default engine builders help please

So here's the main question I have for the people that build motors I realize that there's no guarantee on a race motor but what happens during disassembly (the disasemble was me) that I find the number 8 piston in the number 4 hole. I have aluminum in my oil pan because there wasn't enough clearance for the refluctor wheel. I'm just curious if this could cause premature bearing wear and eventualy failure? Also as a customer what do you think should be my course of action?
Thanks
Old 01-07-2013, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like you're in for some trouble. Either Pancho or Billy didn't assemble it correctly.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Whoever put it together needs to be paying for it then.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:02 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by nvmy2000ss
So here's the main question I have for the people that build motors I realize that there's no guarantee on a race motor but what happens during disassembly (the disasemble was me) that I find the number 8 piston in the number 4 hole. I have aluminum in my oil pan because there wasn't enough clearance for the refluctor wheel. I'm just curious if this could cause premature bearing wear and eventualy failure? Also as a customer what do you think should be my course of action?
Thanks
Time to call the shop that built it and demand the motor be fixed. The guy that assembled it should have caught it. Where did they even find pistons that hit the reluctor?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is not good, but everybody is human. The aluminum in the pan will cause some damage to the oil pump, but it should get stopped by the filter if the system is stock. You probably should replace the trigger wheel also since it has been hit.

kurt
Old 01-07-2013, 08:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ouch! Shoulda been able to feel that while rolling it over during the build...
Old 01-07-2013, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 427
That is not good, but everybody is human. The aluminum in the pan will cause some damage to the oil pump, but it should get stopped by the filter if the system is stock. You probably should replace the trigger wheel also since it has been hit.

kurt
Hello kurt I actually delt with you a long time ago and wanted you to build this short block but unfortunately I had all the parts here along with the block and shipping was expensive. Of coarse I wish I would have sucked it up and paid now.
I realize everyone is human and we all make mistakes hell I have made plenty of my own but at this point im at a loss at what I should ask for from the shop. I cant really tell if the cylinder was scored or not I see a mark but I wasnt able to get my hand down there to feel. I will be pulling the heads this week and checking other things, I think one of my springs went bad cause there is an audible tick in what I believe is in the valvetrain.
Anyway being that you have been doing this a long time what do you believe I should do? I almost want to do things myself cause it is so hard to find people that listen to what your looking for and pay attention to detail. When I first brought the block and parts to him I asked if he could key the crank while it was out cause plans were to run a D1. Guess he wasnt listening that day cause I wound up pining the crank on my own, he said we never discussed that. Thanks for your time.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Ouch! Shoulda been able to feel that while rolling it over during the build...
You would have thought but im guessing that maybe it had just enough clearance not to touch then when warm pistons expanded and hit but im no expert and I dont know how much they grow.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default pics

Last edited by nvmy2000ss; 01-09-2013 at 02:44 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:57 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by nvmy2000ss
Hello kurt I actually delt with you a long time ago and wanted you to build this short block but unfortunately I had all the parts here along with the block and shipping was expensive. Of coarse I wish I would have sucked it up and paid now.
I realize everyone is human and we all make mistakes hell I have made plenty of my own but at this point im at a loss at what I should ask for from the shop. I cant really tell if the cylinder was scored or not I see a mark but I wasnt able to get my hand down there to feel. I will be pulling the heads this week and checking other things, I think one of my springs went bad cause there is an audible tick in what I believe is in the valvetrain.
Anyway being that you have been doing this a long time what do you believe I should do? I almost want to do things myself cause it is so hard to find people that listen to what your looking for and pay attention to detail. When I first brought the block and parts to him I asked if he could key the crank while it was out cause plans were to run a D1. Guess he wasnt listening that day cause I wound up pining the crank on my own, he said we never discussed that. Thanks for your time.
If you brought him the parts you picked out, you may have a tough time getting him to help you out. Rarely does a machine shop stand behind work that was done with customer supplied parts. I'm still curious what pistons you used, most use a shorter 2.25" pin to clear the reluctor. The pistons you have must be very old or for a different combo entirely.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KCS
If you brought him the parts you picked out, you may have a tough time getting him to help you out. Rarely does a machine shop stand behind work that was done with customer supplied parts. I'm still curious what pistons you used, most use a shorter 2.25" pin to clear the reluctor. The pistons you have must be very old or for a different combo entirely.
I brought him the block and lunati crank and billet rods witch were a matched set. Funny you should say that cause the one part he bought (the diamond pistons) were the problem. I spoke with diamond and there is a relief for the reluctor ring on one piston he just put it in the wrong hole.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This is why I prefer to do the final assembly myself. In most cases regular machine shops are looking to turn things around quickly instead of paying the attention to detail.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:26 AM
LS6
TECH Regular

Does this require block replacement or only weld build-up and machining with heat treatment to relief the stesses with weld at the damaged location?

Quick Reply: engine builders help please