General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

oil leaking out of spark plug, see pic

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil leaking out of spark plug, see pic

Okay, **** my life. Oil change turns into a huge **** my life day. So here we go, car does eat oil, and when your driving around no smoking nothing out of the ordinary until your under load(never at idle) and you stomp the peddle in I leave a small cloud behind the car usually in 2nd or higher. Now, because we had no idea it was leaking from the spark plug until today which no prompts us to check the spark plug itself for being loose or damaged. but we always thought the Valve seals were bad. still plausible considering I have been driving it like this for 2 years. Didn't do this when I bought the car. until one day I decided to be a speed racer and wipe a bimmer off the floor that was 2 years ago and the biggest amount of smoke the car has ever spit out never has it done that much which again, a valve may have got stuck open or something worst.not leaking anywhere else though, never leaked enough to leave a drop except when it sat in the garage for a month and a half, which was 2 little drops, I was wondering where it came from

Either way, I would love for advice. I have a pair of heads already to go into the car and if it's the piston rings. **** my life i will need a new short block because it would be cheaper or hell sell this car as is and get a nicer one
Attached Thumbnails oil leaking out of spark plug, see pic-imag0224.jpg  
Old 01-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Ok, first take a break, sounds like you need one
Second, I doubt it is in the block/rings, wouldn't make its way up to the spark plug hole, especially when it is sitting. Would have to be in the heads
Old 01-07-2013, 03:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Sometimes valve cover gaskets leak and allow oil to ooze past the header and puddle in the spark plug hole. It's hard to trace this because the oil deposits near the manifold/header burn off, and all that's left is the oil around the plug hole and some staining on the block. One of mine does this a little bit as well.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Or it could simply be a valve seal. Take the valve cover off and look to see if the seal lifted off the valve guide. It'll be obvious.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:33 PM
10 Second Club

doing a compression test in a moment -deep breath- went and took the daughter to the park to cool off and relax. this car is stressing me to death haha thanks guys, will update after compression test in a moment, replace a spark plug and see where I am at, i have cnc'd heads sitting in the closet all I need is a head gasket/bolt kit.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my guess is going to be a bad valve seal
Old 01-07-2013, 09:37 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Bad valve seal would usually cause smoke on a cold start, once oil has had time to collect in the cylinder.

Not sure how this would ever lead to oil leaking past the spark plug, unless the plug was loose. And I don't see how a bad valve seal could allow enough oil in the cylinder to leak past even a loose plug, but not cause any smoke on a cold start.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

We can speculate all day long, but it'll all be a shot in the dark until you do some troubleshooting and fill us in. As said above, the reason the oil is in the cylinder is less important than why its getting out. Before you get all fired up, pull the plug and look at it. Is it loose? Is it fouled or is it still firing? A valve seal will leak slowly (unless you just ripped one clean out) and will cause smoke at startup. Badly worn seals would cause a puff at takeoff as well, but if worn seals were the culprit, then you would likely see the same symptoms (oil leaks) on all cylinders.

Do the cheap checks first and ask for advice after you fill us in. Check the plug, check the port, check compression. Thatll tell you a TON. It could be as simple as a dead plug causing a no-fire which washes down the cylinder walls and causes fluid instead of vapor in the cylinder (still shouldnt leak out). Also could be a dirty injector that is spraying a stream rather than a mist. Check your oil as well and see if it is high or very diluted/gassy smelling. Did I mention to check the plug?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Time for a valve job on the head(s).

Do you get a little cloud/puff of white smoke when you nail the gas from a cruising speed.....?

But its weird that its leaking out....it shouldn't do that unless the spark plug is loose.....

Quick Reply: oil leaking out of spark plug, see pic