Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build

Old 01-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build

It's my hope that over the next year or so I'll be able to transform this rough 6 cyl 3 speed rag top (literally) and a wrecked 05' GTO in to something like this:

Never done a build thread, or a build like this but I'll keep you posted as I go. I've found this site and other similar sites invaluable so I feel indebted to the community and hope to pay something back. My greatest contribution will likely be sharing what not to do.

Currently the plan is as follows (subject to change based on budget concerns, marital constraints or whimsy):
67 Firebird Convertible
LS2/Procharger/Intercooler/LS3 heads/Cam/Long tube Headers
Stock Front Clip with new uppers/lowers/coil overs/sway bar (mfg still tbd)
Ford 9" rear end w/BMD torque arm/watts link set up
Lowered 2", mini-tub, 285-17 fronts, 335-17 rear
either GTO take off's for brakes or wilwood
Custom interior (modern gauges, stereo, seats)

In the end it will be a daily driver to replace my truck that I intend to give my daughter when she turns 16, so I need to be rolling by Sept 23 of 2014.

I've been at it for about a month now so I'll try to catch up over the next few posts.

Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails 67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build-firebird-rear.jpg   67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build-firebird-front.jpg   67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build-gto-front.jpg   67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build-engine.jpg  
Old 01-07-2013, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome aboard, If the reality equals the concept you will have a sure winner. Make sure to ask plenty of questions, there is a tremendous wealth of information here.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Teching In

started with the engine because that's what I'm most comfortable working on. Since it was coming out of a wrecked GTO with 77k miles I wanted to pull it apart to get a look at all the moving bits, clean it up and do some general maintenance. It still ran, so I know it had an aftermarket cam, could see the CAI and knew it was tuned, but that was it. My objective was to pull it apart, identify what had been done to it, assess its general condition, do routine/preventative maintenance, clean it up and put it back together.

Still waiting on a bunch of parts, so decided to clean up some of the stuff I had.
67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build-block-after.jpg

67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build-t56-after.jpg

My guess is you won't be able to see much of the block or tranny, but it sure looks good now. Just used a rattle can with "Aluminum" Engine Paint. Cleaned them first with simple green and pressure washer (I did the engine when it was fully assembled), then followed up with a can or two of brake cleaner.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by oldgoat69
Welcome aboard, If the reality equals the concept you will have a sure winner. Make sure to ask plenty of questions, there is a tremendous wealth of information here.
Thanks, and I'm learning that. Probably should have asked "has anyone tried to gasket match LS2 Heads"

In which case I would have learned that the water jacket is VERY close on the bottom of the exhaust runner. Which is also why you may have noted in my current plan I now have LS3 heads...

A friend taught me that "Experience is that which is gained, the moment after you needed it"https://ls1tech.com/forums/images/smilies/LS1Tech/gr_banghead.gif
Old 01-07-2013, 07:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

I wish you luck and speed

Hope it turns out even half as good as the rendering.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

That is a sweet looking ride. It will be great having the gto for a donar vehicle. Im shur you will end up using more things off that car than you think. lol.
If you dont mind me asking, who did the rendering for you? Is there a place that can do that at a price? Thanks
Old 01-08-2013, 06:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with lsx67 , don't let the GTO get away until you are all done with the project.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

sweet build, cant wait to see some progress
Old 01-08-2013, 07:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great looking car and rendering!

I am doing a similar project, mine is a 71 Lemans convertible and I am using a wrecked 04 GTO as a parts donor car. Check out my build thread (link below) for more info, PM me if you have any questions getting and using parts from the new GTO, I ended up using quite a bit from it. I used the GTO's electrical harness which made wiring very easy (also using the GTO interior, BCM and gauges). I just transferred it over and plugged it back together, easy peasy. I agree with previous posters, don't get rid of the GTO until you are sure you have gotten everything you want from it - keep it until the end of the build if you can. Sell what you don't use, there is a market for it (although I haven't gotten around to that yet).
Old 01-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fsdproject
Great looking car and rendering!

I am doing a similar project, mine is a 71 Lemans convertible and I am using a wrecked 04 GTO as a parts donor car. Check out my build thread (link below) for more info, PM me if you have any questions getting and using parts from the new GTO, I ended up using quite a bit from it. I used the GTO's electrical harness which made wiring very easy (also using the GTO interior, BCM and gauges). I just transferred it over and plugged it back together, easy peasy. I agree with previous posters, don't get rid of the GTO until you are sure you have gotten everything you want from it - keep it until the end of the build if you can. Sell what you don't use, there is a market for it (although I haven't gotten around to that yet).
Nice project. I loved the redneck rotisserie. I got a 2 post lift for christmas, but laying the car on its side sure has some appeal.

I plan on using most of the interior out of the goat, but still undecided on the dash.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lsx67
That is a sweet looking ride. It will be great having the gto for a donar vehicle. Im shur you will end up using more things off that car than you think. lol.
If you dont mind me asking, who did the rendering for you? Is there a place that can do that at a price? Thanks
I just spent hours on google images trying different search strings until I found something I liked. In other words, I just copied it.

I did see this software on another forum that looked like it would do the job and am considering purchasing it. It looked pretty cool. Watch the demo.

http://www.hokdigitalpaintbooth.com/
Old 01-09-2013, 01:26 AM
Teching In

Awesome project. I would suggest Detroit Speed for your "undetermined mfg" and if it's a daily driven car, why not a set of Baers? The kits being based on readily available (read replaceable) corvette bits makes for easy and cheap(er) maintenance at most run of the mill auto parts stores.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

There is tons of info on here, looking forward to seeing the end result!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CKreations
Awesome project. I would suggest Detroit Speed for your "undetermined mfg" and if it's a daily driven car, why not a set of Baers? The kits being based on readily available (read replaceable) corvette bits makes for easy and cheap(er) maintenance at most run of the mill auto parts stores.
Some Gto's came with Baer brakes stock I beleive. So he might just be able to rob those off his donar car also. lol
Old 02-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Sonny, great project, and looking forward to see your progress. I am doing a very similar project, but on a 68 of sorts vert as well. I suggest 4th gen Camaro\Firebird disc brakes to keep things within budget and availability of parts is great.

The rendering looks great what wheels are you planning to run? I have 18" T2's that look very similar to the ones you have on my other 67 bird.

Look forward to seeing updates!

Gui
Old 05-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Default 5-27-13 update

Well I've come to two conclusions:
1.This is going to take ALOT longer than I had thought
2. My budget is becoming more of a guideline.

Over the past few months, I've disassembled the bird with the intent of media blasting then starting the process of putting it back together.
I started with the Front Subframe clean up and modifications:
Weld all seams, install Chicane coil-over kit, notch frame for low AC mount compressor, and POR 15 inside and out.
Attached Thumbnails 67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build-img_0546a.jpg   67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build-img_0638a.jpg   67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build-img_0750a.jpg   67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build-img_0755a.jpg   67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build-img_0816a.jpg  

67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build-img_0880a.jpg   67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build-img_0914a.jpg   67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build-chassis1.jpg  
Old 05-27-2013, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Default 5-27-13 update cont.

I also completed much of the engine work:
Added LS3 Heads and intake, ProCharger D1SC, Comp Cam's blower Cam,
Camaro Oil Pan, injectors.

They tell me it will fit, but that procharger sure is hanging out in space.
Attached Thumbnails 67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build-img_0817a.jpg   67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build-img_0272a.jpg  
Old 05-27-2013, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Default 5-27-13 update cont.

On to the body...
Just starting replacing the rusted out or damaged panels.
Right now it looks like left and rear quarters, left and right fenders, Passenger floor, trunk, inner and outer wheel wells (will mini tub so inners were going anyway), a dozen or so miscellaneous patches around the car. I've never done any real bodywork, so I'm not sure how much I will try myself, but I'm starting on the floor to get some practice.

That's it for now. Back to bloody knuckles.
Attached Thumbnails 67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build-img_0918a.jpg   67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build-img_0920a.jpg   67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build-photo-1.jpg   67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build-photo-2.jpg  
Old 05-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

looks good!!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Default 5-27-13 update last

finished up the passenger side floor. It turned out alot better than I thought it would for a newbe.

The last picture shows how mine turned out (butt welded) versus an earlier repair on the drivers side that was overlapped.
Attached Thumbnails 67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build-photo-3.jpg   67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build-photo-5.jpg   67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build-photo-4.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 67 Firebird Convertable/LS2 Pro Touring Build